Followers

Tuesday 1 December 2009

Portrait of Words # 22



This writing challenge has changed. Originally Jeff (A Word in Edgewise) started up this monthly challenge, derived from a previous challenge from R.E.H.'s "Picture Fiction Challenge", but Jeff has given it up and Dr. John (Dr. John's Fortress) and Thom (Thom's Place 4 Well Whatever) have taken over. The challenge is now every two weeks and you can get all the details here, where you can also pick up the links to read all the entries. Do pop over and read, you won't be disappointed.



The challenge is you are given a number of pictures and must use some/all of the pictures to create a story.

For this challenge we were given 4 pictures and some lyrics to use.






Julie and Gabe sat watching the capsules full of people rise into the sky on the London Eye. They were taking a lunch break from their job and enjoying the sunshine in the square.




“I’m leaving Julie” Gabe told her. “I’ve finally got a post in the City, at last someone has taken my degree seriously” he said.


“That’s wonderful Gabe, you won’t forget me and the boys will you?” asked Julie.

“How could I forget you and the boys. You’re all so special; Vinnie, Freddie, Juan, Arnold and the others, we’ve had some great times the past two years.”


Of course, as always when someone leaves a job promises to keep in touch become like pie crusts, made to be broken, and Julie and the boys didn’t see Gabe again.

Gabe made a great success of his job in the city, he got rich and bought the big house and car but he never did forget Julie and the boys, it was always his intention to go back once he’d made it. Five years had passed when Gabe parked his car and checked the mirror to make sure Julie was there, still working in the ticket office of the London Eye.


 
Resplendent in his suit and bowler hat he got out of the car, went to the boot and removed the things he had packed into it earlier. Setting up the table he covered it with a cloth and placed the crockery and cutlery on it then the food from the hamper. By the time he sat down to eat they were all there – his friends – Julie and the pigeons; Vinnie, Freddie, Juan, Arnold and the others, he’d come back to feed them like he used to do when he worked with Julie in the ticket office.
 

 
 
“They’re singing Gabe, the pigeons are singing and you know what they’re singing?” Julie asked.




Welcome back, your dreams were your ticket out.

Welcome back to that same old place that you laughed about.

Well the names have all changed since you hung around,

But those dreams have remained and they’re turned around.

Who’d have thought they’d lead ya (Who’d have thought they’d lead ya)

Back here where we need ya (Here where we need ya)

Yeah we tease him a lot cause we’ve got him on the spot,

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back, welcome back.



“I told you I’d be back Julie, will you marry me?”




Apparently the lyrics are from the song “Welcome Back Kotter”. I’ve never heard of the song or the programme but I Googled it, which is where I got the names from.

22 comments:

quilly said...

Akelamalu, this was absolutely brilliant! You did Kotter proud!

Thom will love this.

Dr.John said...

Very well done. The instructions did get changed , you know. But you did a great job of putting both the story and the song together.

Daryl said...

I was thinking how very odd she's chosen those names (I do remember Welcome Back, Kotter) .. well done!!!

Anonymous said...

OMG...you are Brilliant my friend. I had never thought to do a story like this but it is just wonderful. How you used all the names from Welcome Back Kotter and the pictures was just mind boggling. Well done. Thank you so much for playing :) I LOVE this story :)

Rabbit, rabbit

aims said...

Well done indeed.

Welcome Back Kotter is getting well used this last little while - isn't it?

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

this is excellent, liked you put the character names together with the pictures and had an ending to the story with the song. Brilliant.

Akelamalu said...

Thanks Quilly, so glad you liked it. :)

I had already written it when the instructions got changed Dr. John so I thought I may as well leave it. :)

Thanks Daryl x

I totally misunderstood what you wanted us to do Thom, then by the time you had changed the instructions I had already done this. I'm so glad you like it. xx

Yes it is Aims, glad you like it hon.

Why thankyou Bill :)

Spiky Zora Jones said...

akelamalu: As usual I loved the story and dang...it is from Welcome Back Kotter.

You clever woman, you always have a twist...and I love it.

later honey. xx

Fandango said...

WE dragons settled for setting the pictures to Twinkle Twinhle little star not nearly as good a job as you did.
Wonderful.

Cloudia said...

LOL, my grandma loved that show. i love your words, Ake




Aloha, Friend!


Comfort Spiral

Sandi McBride said...

Oh you are to clever by half! Loved this...your talent expands by leaps and bounds!
hugs
Sandi

Ron said...

YOU. ARE. BRILLIANT.

When I got to your suprise ending...I was SO suprised.

You totally got me!

Once again I say to you...

...you are SO clever, m'dear!

BRAVA!

Hope you're having a great day!

X

Akelamalu said...

Of course all my readers from over the pond recognise the lyrics - they mean absolutely nothing to me! LOL Glad you liked it Spiky x

You're too kind Fandango, thankyou x

Aw thanks Cloudia xx

Why thankyou Sandi how kind. :)

I'm so pleased you enjoyed it Ron, thankyou m'dear. xx

CrAzY Working Mom said...

You always do such an amazing job on these!!!

Together We Save said...

Just wanted to say hello and tell you I love your Christmas graphics.

Unknown said...

Excellent, as usual, my dear friend!

Maria said...

Lovely story. I'm in a writing group and we do this too. A choice of pictures and topic sentences. It's great fun, isn't it. If you have a second, you could see my current attempt. It is at greatttt.wordpress.com. But no problem if you can't - I know how busy things can be!

Smalltown RN said...

I am always amazed at your writing skills...well done....I like your Christmas template...

Nessa said...

I love stories with happy endings. Good job.

Name That Christmas Song

Akelamalu said...

Aw thanks Tisha :)

Welcome Together We Save and thanks for stopping by. :)

Thanks Nick x

Why thankyou Gaelikaa, of course I have time to read yours I'll be right over! :)

Glad you like the Christmas decorations and the story RN x

I do too Nessa :)

cheshire wife said...

That was almost a fairy story. I hope that they got married and lived happily ever after.

Mimi Lenox said...

Brilliant has been used thus far...I saw it again. Brilliant.

Hugs to my friend.