Followers

Saturday 18 October 2008

Saturday Wordzzle # 35



The idea is, every week Raven (View From A Raven's Nest) gives you between 8 and 10 words/phrases and you have to create a small but coherent paragraph using every one of them and the same with the mini challenge. You can do either, both or a megawordzzle using all the words, or even all three, it's up to you, you can post them on your blog or email them to Raven. If you join in go to Raven's and put your name on the Mr. Linky so other participants can come visit you.



Here are my efforts - complete with my doodles



This Week's Ten Word Challenge is: blinking, cellulite, crescent, ship-shape, homonym, suffering, packer, wind chime, scissors, necklace




Amanda stared at the blinking cursor on the screen then typed in the word stalk. The first few examples were appertaining to flowers and plants, not what she was looking for at all, but she supposed it was inevitable, stalk being a homonym. For a few days now she had noticed the stranger walking up and down Packer Crescent, where she lived, and was sure he was stalking her.

Only yesterday she had worked herself into a frenzy when she heard the wind chime outside the back door tinkling even though there was no breeze. She had been so convinced someone was trying to get in that she had armed herself with a pair of scissors from the drawer before investigating the noise.

Suddenly the doorbell rang. Clutching the necklace around her throat she peered through the half closed blinds to see the stranger standing on her doorstep.

Slipping the chain on the door she opened it a fraction, asking

“What do you want?”

“Ah good-day, I wonder if you could spare me a few minutes? I’m the manager of the new gym round the corner and wondered if you’d be interested in a free trial membership, get yourself ship-shape?” he said.

“If I was as big as a battleship and was suffering from cellulite I might take you up on the offer” Amanda sneered, slamming the door on the startled man.





Mini Challenge: static, floppy hat, penguin, cinnamon, alphabetical



Removing the floppy hat Cindy was dismayed to find her hair stuck up on end because it was full of static. She ordered a cinnamon tea and a chocolate Penguin biscuit, then took a folder out of her handbag and began to read the alphabetical list of names she had received from the dating agency. Being a methodical sort she ticked off the ones she’d already dated, which brought her down to the T’s, then she dialled the next number.



Megawordzzle



Melanie had been a packer at the store “Ship-shape” for just a few months. It was a one of those stores that sold all manner of things such as wind chimes, necklaces, scissors, etc., and it was Melanie’s job to get the orders ready for delivery. She was desperate when she applied for the job, she had been out of work so long that she was suffering from cellulite on her rear end from sitting about so much. A job that entailed being on her feet most of the day was just what she needed, in fact, after her first day at the job, she commented to her friend that it was good not to be static for a change.

“You mean full of electricity?” enquired her friend.

“No, of course not, I mean not sitting still all day. You know static is a homonym don’t you?” she asked her friend.

“What’s one of those” enquired her friend.

“It’s a word that can mean two different things, like static can mean standing still or full of electricity.” explained Melanie.

Melanie enjoyed her job and she got on really well with the owner, Mr. Crescent, who reminded her of a penguin because he always wore a black tailed jacked and starched bibfronted shirt. Everything was going well until Mr. Crescent’s cat, Cinnamon, went missing. He was beside himself, blinking back the tears as he searched the shop for his beloved pet.

“She must have got into one of the boxes” he told Melanie “I want you to search them all alphabetically” he said.

“He means systematically” her co-worker explained “he get’s his words mixed up sometimes.

Melanie started the search, which took her the best part of day, finding the sleeping cat in the very last box she opened. Looking at the delivery note she realised it was she who had deliberately packed the cat in the box. The order said ‘Floppy Hat’, she had read it as ‘Floppy Cat’ and had plucked Cinnamon of the shelf where he was sleeping soundly and shoved him in the box!

24 comments:

lettuce said...

i particularly enjoyed this one! a great set of words

and Cinnamon is a v.v. good name for a cat

Lu' said...

Ha ha ha I loved the mega. They were all good, but packing a cat HA!

Melli said...

Oh my! Amanda seems to be suffering from maybe some hormonal imbalances!!!

Cindy should have NO problem with dates - women who wear floppy hats are VERY exciting! (and I love your doodle!)

The Melanie story is a delight! Poor little floppy cat! Must not have minded... a cat in a box can be much worse than a Jack-in-the-box!

Dr.John said...

Three good stories but I really like the last one. I needed a good laugh. I could just see the poor cat being stuffed in the box.

bettygram said...

The last story was so cute. I liked the others as well.

Raven said...

These are all great! I wish I had thought of Packer Crescent. I had such a hard time this week and you wrote three masterpieces. Well done! Loved the doodles too.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i bet it was a guy that gave you the word cellulite! ha ha

smiles, bee
xxoxoxoxoxoxox

Akelamalu said...

It was the only way I could work cinnamon in Lettuce!

So please you enjoyed them Lu x

I think Amanda does have some hormonal problems Melli ;)

Of course the cat wasn't hurt in the writing of the story Dr.John. ;)

Hi Bettygram and welcome. I'm happy you enjoyed the stories.

Raven I really struggled too this week, it took me ages! Glad you like the doodles too.


LOL you made me laugh Bee

Richard said...

Another great endind; that's one way to ship off a floppy cat.

Rich

Jo Beaufoix said...

Hee hee, fantastsic. And I loved that Flash Fiction, the pictures were perfect.

Dianne said...

Packer Crescent sounds like a very high class place to live
poor Amanda, she's very anxious

and Floppy Cat!!!
loved that. I shop online all the time. imagine opening the pkg and finding a cat ;)

great stuff lady!

Linda said...

Well, I must say that Amanda was none to gracious to her stalker! Nice job with the scissor doodle!

Akelamalu said...

Thanks Rich :)

Glad you enjoyed them Jo x

Packer Crescent was the only way I could think of to use those two words Dianne!

I think Amanda was secretly disappointed that he wasn't a stalker Linda ;)

Daryl said...

Fine job .. especially the last bit about the floppy hat .. cat .. nice touch

:-Daryl

Anndi said...

Outstanding job!

Floppy cat ... hehehe!

Hopefully I'll have enough free time to participate again next week.

x said...

ake, i know this word challenge must be really a challenge, but your imagination is just brilliant.

i see your doodles are getting prettier and prettier everytime, too! =D

G-Man said...

You can make any array of words interesting Ake...
Great Job!!

Akelamalu said...

Thankyou Daryl x

I'll look forward to reading yours next week Anndi and thankyou, glad you enjoyed them.

You're very kind in what you say Acey, thankyou. x

Ah, flattery will get you everywhere G-man ;)

San said...

Akelamalu, you have a knack for building strong characters with just a few details.

Akelamalu said...

Oh you're very kind San, thankyou. :)

Pam said...

all of these just made me laugh this morning :) lol

storyteller said...

You KNOW I’m too busy if I don’t read your Saturday Wordzzle until WEDNESDAY … sigh! Once again I’m totally impressed and entertained … not only with your story-telling, but I love the doodles (especially the penguin) and I want to ‘snag’ the RED HAT (you know I’m a Red Hatter, right?) It would look so good on me … seriously!
Hugs and blessings,

Akelamalu said...

Happy to make you smile Ciara x

You take the red hat with my blessing Storyteller I'm pleased you like it and the stories. :)

storyteller said...

Thanks ... I've snagged it and I'm sure you'll see it sometime soon (with artistic credit to you of course).
Hugs and blessings,