Followers

Friday 8 June 2007

Miles and Miles and Miles.....

Is how far I walked on Wednesday!

MWM and I decided to have a day out as the weather forecast was so good, so we went to Southport on the train from our local railway station. I took my 'stick' with me as I intended doing a lot of walking about and still feel I need my 'comfort blanket' when I'm outside.

We got the 9.30 a.m. train and arrived there at 11.15 a.m., and the first thing we did was to walk down to the promenade. Now the promenade in Southport is not as you may imagine near the sea! Oh no, there's the promenade then you have to walk about another half a mile further to get to the sea wall.

Click on photos to enlarge
photographs copyright 2007


Here's MWM standing on the Promenade with the Marine Way Bridge behind him. You have to go over the bridge to get to the sea wall.




You drive over the bridge and come to the car park and there it is the Sea Wall. The sea is a lot further out though, even when the tide's in. It's a standing joke that you can go to Southport and never see the sea!



The traditional Merry go Round Rides are not often seen these days but Southport still retains this quaint seaside tradition with this carousel at the top end of Southport's pier. The "Golden Gallopers" as it is known was built in the early 1900's and was purchased by Silcock's in 1989. It took 3 years to restore to working order and has 3 cockerels and 33 horses, all named after members of the Silccock family or their friends.





As we crossed the road and walked back into the town to have a sit down and a drink, we came across this statue of Queen Victoria and in the distance you can see an obelisk. It's not really leaning, it's just the way I took the photograph I think!





We stopped just past Queen Victoria and sat outside a pub with a drink - cheers!






Then set off again back to Lord Street (the main shopping street) which also boasts an obelisk. I think they like them don't you? You'll be pleased to know the only shopping I did was window shopping! By this time we had walked round in a circle and it was 1.15 p.m. so time for lunch.




We found this restaurant/pub in one of the side streets and had traditional Fish, Chips and Mushy Peas - an absolute must when you go to the seaside!

Fortified, I said I just had to see the sea so there was only one thing for it - a walk to the end of the pier!

Now Southport Pier is 3,650ft (1,112m) long. There is a little tram like thingy that runs the length of the Pier but I was determined to walk!


This is the start of the pier, you can just make out the sea in the distance. You can sponser a plank on the pier and have a little plaque with your name or message on it. We found this one for Ken Dodd O.B.E. Ken is a famous British Comedian.





We also noticed a skatepark and the minature railway alongside the pier.











Of course there were children making sandcastles on the beach and enjoying Donkey Rides.





Here I am striding out about halfway on my march. I'm the one on the right with the stick!









Look how big the beach is! The sea wall is just behind the line of cars on the left, where else can you park on the beach?




I made it! Here I am at the end of the pier having a well earned rest. Not sure who the chappie in the background is though! I sat down twice on my journey to the end of the pier but I wasn't in any pain, just tired. After all it was about 3/4 of a mile!




This is the the view I was looking at as I sat at the end of the pier - the long walk back! Shall I wait for the little tram I pondered? No, I'll walk and this time I won't stop until I reach the end.
So, off we go again.



I didn't stop once and as we got closer to the end we noticed a paddle steamer on the lake, which is just at the entrance to the pier. Only in Southport would you need a lake so close to the sea.





And just to the left of the paddle steamer a beer garden, right at the end of the pier. I was on a mission now! I need to rest and where better than in the beer garden with a lovely cool beer. I even managed to walk down the metal staircase you can see there.



We drank rested there for about half an hour then it was time to set off for the train home. We had another 1/4 of a mile to walk back to the station but there was no rush, we had plenty of time.

We got to the station in plenty of time, even managing to look in a few shops on the way back, but we didn't buy anything.

The journey home was peaceful as we reflected on the lovely day we'd had and how far I had managed to walk.

We're now planning another day out, probably to York as soon as we get another good weather day. I'll keep you posted.

35 comments:

Queenie said...

Who's a clever girl then??
I agree with you its miles and miles. London Marathon next, speak over the weekend darling. Have a good weekend, and put your feet up.

Anonymous said...

Well done that woman!!

x

la bellina mammina said...

Hello there! Brava!!! Am so jealous, you took much more photos than I did on my trip.

Missed ya.

RUTH said...

That sounds a wonderful day out; what a glorious beach and I love the merrie-go-round. Actually I think I'd love the fish, chips and mushy peas too and the little rest (LOL)in the beer garden. Well done getting around...
No outings here today, torrential rain and thunderstorms...just when I thought it was safe to get out the sun tan cream :-)

Elaine Denning said...

Well done you! You put me to shame!

Southport. SOB.

I went to Southport for 2 weeks when I was 15, and fell in love wth the man on one of the fairground rides.

I cried when it was time to go home because I loved him so much, but he gave me his address and said we'd be together one day.

So I wrote...and I wrote...and I wrote...until my letters all came back with "No such address" written on them.

Bloody men!

Glad you had a good day!

Akelamalu said...

queenie
London Marathon - not sure, but I enjoyed Southport Pier!

Akelamalu said...

dahniyul thanks darlin'. xx

Akelamalu said...

la bellina mammina
Oh you're back, great to see ya!

Akelamalu said...

ruth
I think you'd love it there. The weather is beautiful here today, I hope your rain isn't heading this way. :(

Akelamalu said...

miss u
How cruel was he?! It really hurts when you're 15 and you get let down - I know. :(

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

my all that walking with your knee?? holy moly girl! it sure does look like a lovely day though and you are a cute little thing too! nice photos...

smiles, bee

Tammy said...

I'm so amazed at how well you did...I enlarged the one picture of you and noticed you had on cute little sandles...I would have been screaming in pain as I always have to have a good walking shoe on for any amount of walking!
Well done!!!
:)
PS...this is the second time someone has mentiond mushy pea's this week...could you maybe explain what those are?

Anonymous said...

That was a nice tour. York is really cool. I do hope you go there.

Akelamalu said...

bee
I was told to do as much walking as possible as it's the best exercise for strengthening the muscles - and it does! Me a little thing? Thanks for the compliment honey - I love that camera! :)

Akelamalu said...

early bird
Yes I did have sandals on. I'm afraid I suffer for fashion!

Mushy Peas are dried marrowfat green peas cooked until they go like mush! Sounds awful but they're really good.

Akelamalu said...

rhea
We've been to York a few times, I love it there, but it's so long since I've been able to walk about much that I want to go back now I can walk!

Mike Minzes said...

Great Pictures!!! Looks like you had a wonderful time!!

-0-0-

Linda said...

What a lovely tour of Southport! I especially liked the Merry-go-Round and you're right, you don't see them much anymore!

You are doing some amazing things with that knee of yours! Keep up the good work!

Akelamalu said...

mike
We did, and we slept like logs after all that sea air!

Akelamalu said...

linda
Southport is a lovely place. I'm really trying to get my knee back to normal - whatever normal is, it's that long since it's been that!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Thanks for taking us along on your day out. Great distance for your knee - must feel superb to have done it. I'm glad you got to have a drink - er, rest at the beer garden. The only rational thing to do on a lovely seaside day.

Akelamalu said...

Julia
Glad you enjoyed the tour. Yes, I am pleased to have walked so far. There was a time when I thought I would never be able to walk again! The drink was very refreshing! :)

Anonymous said...

Great Pics... Thank you for sharing them.

Also, have a good weekend!

GEWELS said...

Wow- the knee must be doing fabulously!!! And that MWM- mmhmm-pretty handsome!!!

Very cute pic of you- I love your hair.

Can't wait to start the "Experiment" over at MikeM's blog- it should be a HOOT!

Drunk Mummy said...

That sounds like a lovely day out.
Is it just me, or does Southport look like Downtown L.A. on some of those photos?!

talj said...

What a lovely day and really fabulous pictures!! If you ever make it to (boring) Leeds for the day give me a shout! :o)

Cream said...

Lovely to see that your knee is getting stronger...

You'll soon be able to chuck your stick away and start kicking!

Akelamalu said...

josh
Thanks honey, you do too.

Akelamalu said...

gewels
I've told MWM you think he's handsome - his head has swelled to double size now!
My hair was easy to achieve - walk 3/4 mile in a stiff sea breeze! :)
The Experiment will be fun - I just hope no-one is expecting Booker Prize stuff from me!

Akelamalu said...

drunk mummy
You serious? Southport looks like downtown LA - Pictures someone please.

Akelamalu said...

talj
Leeds could be on the agenda - lovely shopping there! ;)

Akelamalu said...

cream
Are you suggesting I kick people? I think you took THE RULES too seriously. ;)

TopChamp said...

It looks stunning - much more exotic than I remember. I'm very jealous. Taking a break from trumpet practise (rehearsal at 4pm today for a gig at half 7). Really want a holiday!

Akelamalu said...

topchamp
It looked a lot different to the last time I was there (34 years ago) too! Good luck with the gig.

katie eggeman said...

You have wonderful days out!