Followers

Sunday 1 April 2007

Water...

Whilst looking for a photograph to put up to join in the photo hunt - water - I came across some beauties which I thought would be nice to share.


We went on holiday to Cyprus in 2004 and stayed in Protaras. We booked an excursion from the hotel to go on a Submarine out in Larnaka bay to see the wreck of the "Zenobia", a Swedish roll-on-roll-off ferry that sank on the 7th June 1980.


photographs copyright 2007
Click on photos to enlarge.
A motorboat took us out to the submarine, I must admit I was a bit apprehensive about how we would board it but it was relatively easy. Getting down the ladder was a bit more difficult especially for me with my gammy leg!







Here's MWM just after boarding the sub, you can see the queue of people waiting to go down the ladder in the background.


Once down into the belly of the sub it is surprisingly spacious, there are windows all around and seating, so it is quite comfortable. You can see pictures of the outside and inside of the submarine here.



We went down to about 40m to the wreck and took photographs of it and various divers. Apparently it is rated one of the top ten dive sites in the world.

The wreck of the Zenobia and some divers.












A diver fed the fish to get them closer to the sub.












We spent about thirty minutes cruising around the wreck, so we could see it from all different angles, and there were lots of divers down there. It was a fantastic experience and one I could recommend to anyone. There were people of all ages on board, including children, so if you ever get the chance to try it my advice would be - go for it.


My knee
Sunday 1st April
We went out to our local last night for the first time in 5 weeks. Although it's only a five minute walk MWM took me there in the car then brought the car back home and walked back. Isn't he a saint?! It was great to see everyone and they were all interested in how the surgery had gone. I managed to last until 10.45 but was becoming increasingly uncomfortable so we set off home. I insisted I would walk and I did. It took me about 30 minutes! I was exhausted by the time I got home, not in any pain, just exhausted - it's really hard work using crutches. I went straight to bed when I got in and slept until 8.30 a.m. I didn't even wake up for any pain relief during the night!

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

akelamalu, thanks for stopping by my blog...I love your posts and most of all your pictures, especially the old family ones in your sidebar.

I hope your recovery is going well. I had knee surgery when I was younger and it takes a while, but it will get better. Once you are well again look into Taoist Tai Chi, it saved my knees.It's tough at first, but very restorative if you stay with it.

Akelamalu said...

travelling spirit
Thanks for dropping by and your lovely comments.

Your words re knee surgery are encouraging. I had major knee surgery 17 years ago but arthritis set in - hence the knee replacement! I have always wanted to try Tai Chi, hopefully when I recover fully I will be able to. :)

letha said...

I love your water photo's, thanks for visiting my blog.

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Thanks for stopping by my photo hunt Saturday!! I stopped by and have been reading some of your posts!! I am so sorry about your two oldest grandchildren but as you say you learned from it and that is the right way to be positive and learning!! They are little angels now!!
Sandy

Akelamalu said...

Hi letha, thanks for stopping by, please call back again. Glad you liked my photos.

Akelamalu said...

Hi Sandy, glad you found me my blog interesting.

Anonymous said...

Akelamalu, I had osteoarthritis from the age of seven. By 18 I had to have a patella restabilization with ended with a leg brace for six months and a full year of rehab. That was just the left knee. I had arthroscopic surgery on the right knee during the rehab for the left knee. I was told I would be in a wheelchair by the time I was 40. I'm almost 45 and no where near needing a wheel chair. The Tai Chi did indeed save me from more degeneration. I have seen some remarkable recoveries from arthritis of different forms as a result of this gentle exercise. Keep the faith and you will recover!

p.s. I LOVE your playlist...you and I share a love of the same type of music.

Akelamalu said...

travelling spirit
Oh my you have been through the mill! Glad to hear the doctors were wrong about the wheelchair. I will definitely look into Tai Chi when I'm fully recovered.

Glad you like the music! :)

Queenie said...

Glad you had a good night

Akelamalu said...

queenie
Thanks darlin' hope you're feeling better too. x

Jose said...

The only submarine ride I have been on is at Disneyland in Anaheim. That looks like an interesting tour, don't know if I could be in an enlosed place under water for too long though.

Linda said...

Thanks for sharing these lovely pictures; it looks like it was a trip to remember and I'm sure you have lovely, lovely memories.

Sounds like you're progressing well with the knee recovery, just don't overdo it and wear yourself out too quickly!

Remember - baby steps with recovery and then once that's over you can run a marathon should you choose to do so!

Tammy said...

What an adventure!
I'm sure you had a great time...but going under water like that would have made me a nervous wreck!
Glad to hear you were out and about...I hope you continue to improve!

GEWELS said...

What fun! Great underwater shots.
What a fun adventure. I would love to go under in a sub sometime.

Linda said...

Hope you don't mind but I have tagged you for a meme on goals over at my blog. I hope you're able to play along though this one is a toughie!

Me said...

love the water pix. sounds like fun.

Akelamalu said...

Jose
Thanks for dropping by. I suppose a submarine would be a no no if you don't like enclosed spaces, though it's not as claustraphobic as you might think.

Akelamalu said...

linda
Glad you like the pictures. You are right - baby steps first - my impatience will be my undoing!

Akelamalu said...

early bird
Yes it was such an adventure. I thought I may be a wreck too but I wasn't. Thanks for your good wishes honey. :)

Akelamalu said...

gewels
Hi and welcome to my blog. It was an adventure, but so peaceful under the sea.

Akelamalu said...

Hi linda, I don't mind and I'll have a go. Though bear with me 'cos I'm new to all this! :)

Akelamalu said...

bonnie ann
Glad you like the pictures and it was great fun.

Cream said...

Yes, the Med! Ahhhhhhhhh...

Akelamalu said...

cream
Glad you like!

Unknown said...

I have a beautiful water picture I took in Grenada. Can I join in please? Well I will anyway so there. :-)

Akelamalu said...

Carol
Course you can join in honey, I've just had a look - great photos.

Ginabee said...

Akelamalu,
Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting on the photos. I came over to check out your water photos and stayed to read awhile. Your post about your grandchildren is heartbreaking. Best wishes in your recovery and increased mobility.

Akelamalu said...

ginabee
Oh thanks for calling in and for your lovely comments and good wishes.