Followers

Friday 27 April 2007

Kiss This Guy......



Have you ever wondered if the words you sing to your favourite songs are right?

Apparently one of the most misheard lyrics is in the Jimi Hendrix song 'Purple Haze' where people thought he was singing 'Kiss this guy', when in fact he was singing 'Kiss the sky' - hence the title of the post.

There's a website devoted to misheard lyrics such as:


Rod Stewart 'Maggie May'
The real lyrics were:All you did was wreck my bed
Misheard as:All you did was wet my bed



Michael Jackson 'Man in the mirror'
'The real lyrics were:I'm starting with the man in the mirror.I'm asking him to change his ways.
Misheard as:I'm stuck with the man in the mirror.I'm asking him to change his face.

The Bangles 'Walk like an Egyptian'
The real lyrics were:Walk like an Egyptian
Misheard as:Walk like a midgets son

Abba 'Souper Trouper'
The real lyrics were:I was sick and tired of everythingWhen I called you last night from Glasgow
Misheard as:I was sick and tired of being thinWhen I called you last night from Tesco

Bee Gees 'Stayin' Alive'
The real lyrics were:Ah, ah,ah,ah, Stayin alive, stayin alive
Misheard as:Ah, ah, ah, ah, Stay in the light, Stay in the light


If you want a good laugh make yourself a cup of tea or coffee and go to

http://www.kissthisguy.com/

Where you can see who misheard and where they were when they made a fool of themselves! You can also vote on whether you think they are funny/or not.

Mine was:
John & Yoko 'Give Peace a Chance'
The real lyrics were: All we are saying is give peace a chance
I heard: Oh we are sailing give peace a chance.

I was 18 and in the middle of a beach party with 3 friends and 3 boys we'd met on holiday. One of the boys had a guitar and started singing so we all joined in. Everybody sang the right words except me! I was mortified.


WARNING: DO NOT HAVE A MOUTHFUL OF LIQUID WHEN YOU READ - IT'S NOT GOOD FOR YOUR KEYBOARD.


Before you go, what's the song you sing the wrong lyrics to?

PS MWM has been laughing at me for years for singing "cause I can play this here guitar" to The Drifters 'On Broadway'. He said the real lyrics are "cause I can play this air guitar". Guess what - I just looked it up and I'm right! Just wait till he gets back from the Libary, boy is he in trouble!

My knee
Friday 28th April
No significant change, but at least it's not any worse!

26 comments:

Lo Kelween said...

haha...that's funny. actually- believe it or not - i like the song 'Walk like An Egyptian". this post is cool!

Cream said...

"I can see clearly now Lorraine has gone...."
This same theme was on BBC News this morning.

Akelamalu said...

Elween
Me too. Know all the words?

Cream
That's funny. Yes I saw it on the news, that's what reminded me about the website which I found ages ago.

Elaine Denning said...

My apologies for not commenting before!!!
How about "Don't let your son go down on me" by Elton John?

hehehe :)

la bellina mammina said...

i can name a few - but I'm gonna be late for my date now. Can i get back to you?;-)

Akelamalu said...

Miss understood
Hi, thanks for dropping by, and commenting.
That's a good one - naughty!

talj said...

LOL What a great post!! I'm not admitting to mishearing any of the above songs ;o)

Glad the knee is 'stable' :o)

{{{HUGS}}} Have a lovely weekend :o)

Akelamalu said...

La Bellina Mammina
Course you can honey. :)

Talj
Come on, 'fess up!

Queenie said...

'On every borbons hat',sounds better than on 'IIkeley moor ba'tat'. I am still in therapy from singing this on a school trip, they never let me forget it!!!!!
Are you saying MWM got something wrong, Mmmmm don't think I will be forgetting that!!!!

katie eggeman said...

I thought Neil Diamond's Cracklin Rosie, was Jacquelyn Rose for a long time, until I read an album cover. I don't remember anyone correcting me in the car, when the eight track was playing :>)

Akelamalu said...

Queenie
Couldn't you convince them you were right?

Yes he did get it wrong and you know what he said when I told him - I don't care and he laughed!!!!!
How very dare he!!!

Akelamalu said...

bankerchick
They were all probably singing their own version! He he.

Catch said...

I get a lot of the words wrong but I just keep on singin...lol. I like the one about If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, Make an ugly woman your wife, she will always give you piece of a@@.Ive sang it so long that way I dont remember the right way! lol

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

laughing at miss understood! ha ha ha

good post...

smiles, bee

Akelamalu said...

Catch
Sometimes it's best to live in ignorance I say! :)

Bee
Glad it made you laugh hon.

123Valerie said...

Oh, such a good topic. All of them, I think.

But, I'm always flubbing up Mmm Bop. What's the middle part: Mmm Bop dooby dop bop boo bop?? WTF?

Amazing Gracie said...

There was a song in the '80's, "Express Yourself." My kids were heard singing, "Spread Yourself." We had to have a talk...
I've messed up so many song lyrics and when I've read them correctly on the jackets, thought how could I have missed that???

Linda said...

"All we are saying is give peas a chance ..." My daughters always hated when I sang it like that when holding a can of peas! Great post - lots of fun!

Tammy said...

All I know is the song Rollercoaster of Love...where the gal screams...I've always heard the urban legend that someone was killed making this record and that is the sound of her scream...eery!!

ramblingwoman said...

A long long time ago when I was about sixteen or so, I had a slow dance in a night club with a guy who I thought was gorgeous. Sadly, I didn't think this for long when he sang the words to 'No Woman No Cry' in my ear as we smooched 'No Woman to Care'.

More recently, (As Lettuce might tell you) I thought the Kaiser Chiefs instead of singing 'I predict a Riot' were actually 'I fade to red' (Well, listen to it, it's possible, honest!)

lettuce said...

oh yes, i liked the midgets son!

and I always thought it was "No woman no crime"

Akelamalu said...

123valerie
I think you're allowed to make that one up as you go along!!! :)

Gracie
Oh kids are the best aren't they, its so funny listening to their interpretations!

Linda
You're soooo funny!

Early bird
I've not heard that before - that's a bit eerie! :0

rambling woman
It's strange how a little thing like that can put you off isn't it?

Lettuce
You mean it's not "No woman no crime"???????

Lo Kelween said...

oh i don't have the lyrics. btw, i thought of a song by Beegees, "tragedy". i always thought they sang it as "tra-ge-ke-dy". it sounds like there is an extra syllable there...

Unknown said...

I misheard some lyrics on a Tori Amos song. Sorry I can't remember the title
The actual words were: Gotta be big
I Misheard as: Scabby Bitch!!

LOL Please don't ask!!!

Akelamalu said...

Elween
That's an easy one to mishear!

Carol
Oh Carol! That's a song title isn't it?

masgblog said...

excellent post...I just had to read it since you stopped by for my Rising Blogger award....thx!