Followers

Tuesday 17 April 2007

Green Light.............




Well the surgeon has given me the green light!

The operation has worked perfectly and I can now start getting my knee back to normal.


I can now get rid of the crutches as soon as I feel confident so, as soon as I got home, I discarded one of them and have been managing just fine around the house. I have even tried going downstairs one foot after the other instead of down with the bad leg all the time. This was difficult but I used a crutch and the bannister for support and I managed it. I'm still going upstairs good leg first, the knee doesn't feel strong enough to be able to take my weight and push up at the same time!


I have also started Pilates again this morning. Pilates is fantastic for strengthening inner muscles, it was the only exercise I could do whilst I have been having trouble with my knee because it's not weightbearing. I have a Pilates machine like the one in the picture, you can see how these exercises will help me bend and straighten my knee and strengthen the muscles in my leg at the same time. It felt a little strange this morning, as you can imagine, but I'll just to a little each day and build up.


I feel so much better in myself now I have been given the go ahead to do what I want. I was so apprehensive about trying anything other than what was on the sheet of exercises I was given, just in case I dislocated my knee, which was what I was told could happen in the first six weeks. There'll be no stopping me now - I will go gently though!!

The surgeon suggested that I get some weights to strap onto my ankle so, as soon as I got home, I got straight onto Ebay and they should be here within the next day or two.


I have to go back to see the surgeon in three months (beginning of August) when they will take another X-ray to make sure the joint is OK, he said he expects me to walk in there without aids and with a spring in my step! I said I'll do my best.

31 comments:

IndigoGirl said...

I'm so glad for you! Things can only go better from here... Good luck and do take it easy!

CG said...

It all sounds really positive and i hope you go from strength to strength from now on :)

GEWELS said...

Congratulations! I'm sure this is such a huge relief for you. And, just in time for summer.
Take it easy, but have lots of fun.
Sorry you missed Red Dirt Girl's party- it was quite a production.
I'll try to remember to send an invite for the next one.

talj said...

This is great news! So glad you have got rid of your crutches and that everything is going well for you!! I too hope your leg goes from strength to strength and by August your able to do just as the surgeon said!:o)

Akelamalu said...

Indigo girl
Thanks for dropping by and for your kind thoughts. :)

cg
Yes I feel positive now, thanks for your kind words.

gewels
Oh I'd love an invite to the party next year - thankyou! And yes, I am looking forward to the summer now.

Talj
Still on one crutch but not for long if it's up to me. Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!

Catch said...

that is great news! I have some of those pilates cd's, I have never tried them though...lol. Congratulations on your good news!!! Take it slow!

Akelamalu said...

Nik
Thanks honey!

Catch
Pilates is good! I will take it slow, not a lot of choice really . ((smiles))

Annelisa said...

Yay!!!! Congratulations Akelamalu! I'm so glad for you... you will soon be doing the Can Can (ok, maybe that can can wait, but you're on the way now :-) )

Oh my gosh, aren't you enthusiastic! You must've been feeling so impatient for this day to come - it's been a lot longer than the 6 weeks, hasn't it, so I'm sure it'll be a bit wobbly at first, but you've got the right idea, to take it slow but sure! Good luck with the exercises :-)

(((((((((hugs!!)))))))))

Akelamalu said...

Hi annelisa glad to see you back online!

Oh Yes, I thought I was never going to get there! I will be careful - don't want to go back to work just yet!!!! ;)

Unknown said...

Well before you know it, you will be doing high kicks and boogying around that disco!!! BTW I have tagged you!! Sorry.........

Akelamalu said...

Hi carol I hope so. What you tagged me for? I'd better pop across and find out.

Queenie said...

Can I have the next dance?????

Unknown said...

How wonderful! I love to hear good news. Good for you.

Akelamalu said...

Queenie
Next time we get together definitely!

Dave
Thanks Dave. :)

Vita said...

Ah, the old "up with the good and down with the bad" mantra. MIL says it whenever she hits stairs. Sounds like you are doing wonderfully, and are on the right track to fully enjoy your brilliant new knee.

Akelamalu said...

Vita
Yes it does become a mantra! Thanks honey.

Unknown said...

Thank you for such lovely words. I ususally get the photo shots off the internet.

Tammy said...

So glad to hear your great news!
I've no doubt you will spring right into that office!

Akelamalu said...

Dave
My pleasure. I asked because I couldn't see a picture!

Early-bird
I hope so my friend. :)

Anonymous said...

That's awesome news! I'm glad he gave you the green light!

Linda said...

Big congratulations to you on getting that green light! I am sure that your knee will get stronger and stronger with each day that passes! Just be careful not to overdo it by trying to accomplish everything at once!

I wish that they could replace the discs in my back like they can replace knees and hips and what-not but I'm afraid they haven't quite got that perfected yet. Maybe someday, right?

Here's to that spring in your step in August!

Diana Joy said...

Yahoo!!!!
You will be dancin' before you know it!
(((Mega hug!)))
Diana Joy

la bellina mammina said...

Hey - that's great news! I'm happy for you!

Akelamalu said...

Josh
Thanks friend.

Linda
Oh be sure I'm taking it slowly. Hey it's not so long ago they couldn't replace knees so back discs may be not too far in the future!

Diana Joy
I hope so, thanks for the hug,

La Bellina Mammina
Cheers honey.

Pearls of Wisdom said...

I am so glad for you. I will continue to pray for your knee. Thanks for visiting. I sent you a email with music hope you get . ( It is Dance of the Imagination)
I love your music .

Love and light,

Angel

Akelamalu said...

Angel
Thank you so much for remembering me in your prayers. I haven't got your email honey.

Baba said...

Good Afternoon,....Thanks for visiting my blog.I am glad to hear that your knee surgery went well.Both of my knees will be done on June 4th..,my Doc. said , I will use a walker for a few days.I am getting ready with pre-surgery exercises to strengthen my leg muscles.When did you get to drive??? Take care my friend....... Baba

Akelamalu said...

Hi night owl, thanks for dropping by. You're having both knees done at the same time????? Here you can only have one done at a time, I got a walker for one day then crutches for six weeks. I can drive anytime I feel confident now, but I don't think that will be for at least another couple of week. The pre op exercises are a good idea. I'll drop by again to see how you are getting along. Hope I've not put you off!!

letha said...

That's good news.

Akelamalu said...

Thanks letha. x