Followers

Wednesday 4 March 2009

Spain Part 2 Ronda......



This car was being delivered at 10 a.m. so we were up early and had breakfast before it arrived. Our plan was to go to Ronda, MWM and T had poured over the map planning the route so we set off secure in the knowledge that we knew the way.



It took us two and a half hours to get to Ronda, the car was comfortable and the countryside was beautiful.


There seemed to be a lot of police patrols on the roads, we even got pulled over though they waved us on quite quickly when they looked in the car and saw us in shorts and tshirts obviously realising we were tourists.    We heard later that a bomb had exploded in Madrid that morning.





Not having been before we didn’t know where to park so stopped at the first available space and started walking. It took us about forty five minutes to get to the centre of Ronda by which time we were starving. We stopped at a little tapas bar but were disappointed that they were all out of tapas as it was well past lunchtime, so we settled for a sandwich instead.



When we were finished the owner of the tapas bar pointed us in the direction of the famous bridge over the gorge and we weren’t disappointed in the sight, once we got there.





Ronda is a myriad of little streets, shops, bars and restaurants and well worth the drive.



We set off and arrived back at the apartment just in time to have a cup of tea before it was time to have a shower and change again for dinner. We tried to get a table at JJ’s but it was fully booked because they have a quiz at 10 p.m. so we went to The Med, an Italian restaurant, where the food was absolutely delicious. After our meal we headed back to JJ’s for the quiz, which was great fun. We came next to last but as there weren’t a lot of points between any of the teams we did quite well, considering that all the other teams consisted of people that go in every week just for the quiz.


Another late night ensued, even though we had to be up early the following day for our car trip to Nerja. We’re gluttons for punishment!

Part 3 coming soon

32 comments:

Dumdad said...

I'm looking forward to what you have to say about Nerja. The Frog Queen and I stayed there for two weeks eons ago (pre-kids); in fact, I think I proposed to her there!

Flowerpot said...

It looks really stunning. I stayed in Nerja about 25 years ago!

buffalodick said...

Tapas is fun- sorry you missed it. A good way to try a lot of taste treats all at once! Photos looked great....

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

oh my what a beautiful place!!!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Akelamalu said...

I think you are going to be disappointed Dumdad! Tune in next week to know why.

Ronda was stunning Flowerpot! :)

Not to be outdone I am going to a tapas restaurant this coming Friday Buff! :)

It surely is Bee :)

Salute said...

The music sounds good to my ears. Is that Marvin Gaye and the crew?

Nessa said...

Wow, spectacular!

cheshire wife said...

Scenery looks stunning! I amnot sure about the late nights and early morning though.

Raven said...

Wow... looks like a wonderful trip! Thanks for sharing the journey.

Anonymous said...

Just read parts 1 & 2 - loving the travleogue!

Dr.John said...

The slide show was great. I enjoyed the tour. It is so nice of you to share the trip with us.
Sometimes the fun is in the game not the winning.

~ej said...

wonderful photos....what great views :)

Ron said...

OMG...what stunning photos Akelamalu!

The ones on your slide show of the view from the bridge are amazing!

Love the car too!!!

Look forward to part 3.

Thanks for sharing, dear lady!

X

Spiky Zora Jones said...

sweetie...please stuff me in one of your bigger luggages and take me next time. hehehe.
It sounds wonderful.

I love games...on a cruise our tabel won a prize...I forget what it was...but it was just so much fun...

Glad you had a blast.

I love the pics too honey.

Ciao.

Thom - - Dr. John said...

That bridge is amazing. Made me wonder about all the work that must have gone into building it.

Cloudia said...

Stunning, Ake!
Gotta brew a cuppa and settle in with these great posts. Aloha=

Shrinky said...

Pity about the tapas - one of my top three choices to order when eating out. You took some stunning photo's, the terrain is certainly beautiful, isn't it?

Unknown said...

Sounds fantastic. My manager has a house in Spain I keep promising to go sick and go with her one of these days!!! :-D What a shock you must have had now its got so cold here again!!

Linda said...

Oh help me, Ronda, it looks gorgeous there!

Sorry to hear that they were out of tapas. I've only had them up in Boston when visiting Mags but I love the whole concept!

Looking forward to the rest of your journey as it may the closest I ever get to Spain I'm afraid.

Akelamalu said...

Hi Salute and welcome. Marvin is definitely on my playlist, not sure what was playing when you visited. I love Motown. :)

It was spectacular Nessa :)

I'm still recovering from the late nights and early mornings Cheshire Wife!

We certainly enjoyed it Raven :)

I'm so pleased you enjoyed Parts 1 and 2 Citizen I hope you enjoy the rest. :)

The fun is definitely in the taking part Dr. John, I'm happy you enjoyed the tour. x

Thanks Elena glad you enjoyed it.

The bridge is incredible Ron the photos don't really do it justice. :)

I'll buy a bigger suitcase just so you I can smuggle you along next time Spiky! I love quizzes etc, MWM is a mine of information so we usually do quite well.

Yes Jeff that went through my mind too when I saw it.

Aw thanks Cloudia I'm happy you enjoyed them.

I was disappointed to miss out on the tapas Shrinky I really wanted to try it. The terrain is stunning!

Oh you really must go to Spain Carol, what you waiting for honey?

Oh I do hope you get to Spain one day Linda, never say never honey. x

Lars Shalom said...

the butterfly on the mouse is a stun!!

G-Man said...

A beautiful tour of the Spanish Countryside Ake....Thanks

Connie T. said...

Sounds like you had a great time. It is a beautiful area.

Schmendel said...

Wow. Thanks for the virtual vacation. Why am I in this cubicle instead of Spain?

Lisa said...

Wow. what a beautiful place. I'd love to go someday.

Akelamalu said...

Does that mean you like it Rabbi?

Glad you enjoyed it G-man x

It is a beautiful area Connie and we enjoyed it a lot. :)

Get yourself a plane ticket Schmendel! :)

I hope you get there Lisa, it will be worth the trip. :)

Marshall Family said...

those views are just beutiful ake :) what a lovely time you must have had. Shame about the tapas although I am sure the bridge compensated for it! x

tony said...

The Ronda area looks lovely .......Bomb in Madrid? That slipped by unnoticed by the British media.

katie eggeman said...

What a lovely trip. It is nice to experience a part of the world I've never been to...especially thru your posts! Hoping to hear more about your trip. Your stories are of course wonderful, I've been catching up

MarmiteToasty said...

All sounds so lovely....... awaiting to see photos of nerja to see if its changed..... spent many many years in nerja.... sigh.... dam I need a holiday lol

x

Akelamalu said...

The bridge compensated for everything Emmie :)

It wasn't reported Tony? I don't know how big, or how much damage it did in Madrid.

Nice to see you back Bankerchick and I'm pleased you've enjoyed catching up. x

Oh Marmie you're going to be so disappointed honey - we didn't get any photos!

CG said...

Another wonderful post that makes me feel i was along with you on your trip. You have such a gift for description; you should be a travel writer!