Followers

Saturday 7 March 2009

Saturday Wordzzle #53





The idea is, every week Raven (Views From Raven's Nest) gives you between 8 and 10 words/phrases and you have to create a small but coherent paragraph using every one of them and the same with the mini challenge. You can do either, both or a megawordzzle using all the words, or even all three, it's up to you, you can post them on your blog or email them to Raven. If you join in go to Raven's and put your name on the Mr. Linky so other participants can come visit you.


Complete with my doodles.



This Week's Ten Word Challenge are: chopping block, reading list, bangles, oracle, plan, fandango, spelling bee, calendar, utilitarian, flower pot






Tina checked the calendar for the time of the spelling bee her children were taking part in. Her mother, the oracle as she called her, was taking them as Tina didn’t have any transport at the moment her very old, utilitarian car being in dock. She guessed there wouldn’t be much the mechanic could do with it and it was probably destined for the chopping block. Whilst the children were out Tina’s plan was to catch up on some little jobs like sorting out her bangles, compiling a reading list and cleaning the flower pots ready for planting some seeds. Unfortunately, like most best laid plans, Tina had to take the children herself by bus, as her mother rang to say she’d broken her leg and wouldn’t be doing a fandango any time soon.


Mini Challenge: Siberia, citrus fruit, roofer, shamrock, twinkle twinkle little star




On an education exchange visit to Siberia, Gill didn’t expect the little differences in culture she found, like the children didn’t know the nursery rhyme ‘twinkle, twinkle, little star’; had never seen a shamrock and didn’t know what a roofer was. She was pleased that citrus fruit was plentiful, even though it had to be imported.


Megawordzzle

Twinkle, twinkle, little star’ recited Mandy, this was the finale of her act, which had been put together by her mother, who was convinced Mandy had talent and was determined to do her best to make sure it was recognised. First she had displayed her prowess in the spelling bee, then danced the fandango before her rendition of the song in the talent competition. The crowd erupted in a deafening round of applause. Mandy was destined to be a star and earn fame and fortune so she could keep her mother, who had worked her hands to the bone since Mandy’s father had died, in luxury.   Paddy, her father, had been a roofer and had an unfortunate accident whilst on a job, the lucky shamrock found in his pocket was Mandy’s most sacred possession, even though it hadn’t proved lucky for Paddy.

Mother had a plan: she had a calendar on which she marked upcoming events that Mandy could take part; she made sure Mandy had a healthy diet with plenty of citrus fruit to guard again colds and flu; she had prepared a reading list for Mandy to improve her vocabulary, thereby improving her spelling and she spent all her spare time sewing various costumes and searching for pretty adornments such as bangles to go with the costumes. No utilitarian costumes and accessories for Mandy, her little flower pot, only the best would do and woe betide Mandy if she didn’t do her absolute best in the competitions, her neck would be on the chopping block.

Suddenly the alarm was buzzing and Mandy rubbed the sleep from her eyes. That was the third time this week she had had the same dream, what did it all mean? The fact was Mandy couldn’t sing a note or dance a step. She was thirty years old and had moved back in with her parents after her marriage had broken up six months ago; her Father was retired after working in Siberia as an engineer for the last five years and her mother fancied herself as a bit of an oracle giving Tarot readings to anyone who would listen.

19 comments:

Carletta said...

Tina was sending the kids with her mother to the spelling bee they were taking part in while she did other little jobs - shame on her - I'm glad Mom broke her leg - serves Tina right! :)
Great stories and doodles!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

he worked in siberia? wow! ha ha ha

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxo

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

LOL, great writing. I like the twist at the end of the mega challenge. All 3 were entertaining!!

Dr.John said...

Three very creative stories. The words belong and don't hang like ornaments on a Christmas tree.
I even felt sorry for the poor lady with the broken leg.
I think your the only one, so far, to go to Siberia. Now that was a great idea.
You really surprised me with the last one. It was all a dream.

bettygram said...

I liked your stories. Tina has to learn to put her children first and think about her mom. Her mom now needs some help.

Nessa said...

I wonder what the dream can mean? It sounds promising to me.

I like the doodles, too.

Raven said...

You always make it seem easy. I loved the first one and the last has me wanting an answer to the question "what does it all mean?" Maybe we'll find out next week? Your illustrations are grand.

Richard said...

I know what is means if you fly in your dreams, but what does it mean when you sing?

Finding Pam said...

All your stories are wonderful. The last one through me for a shock. I would call that a nightmare living at your parents and having to be in a talent show.

I know what it means when all your teeth fall out in a dream! But I don't know what it means if you fly or sing in your dreams?

Love the doodles.

Connie T. said...

These are all so good. I might play with the first set of words, but it is not inspiring me yet.

Anonymous said...

I made the 10 word challenge story. You inspired me to write it because your story was so good.

I put it on my word press blog. You always visit me on my blogger blog Connie's World.

Akelamalu said...

Tina didn't have things all her own way Carletta!

Yes, not a place I'd choose to work Bee ;)

I'm pleased you enjoyed them Alice :)

Why thank you Dr. John for your kind , I'm happy you enjoyed my stories. x

You're right Bettygram, Tina is quite selfish!

I have no idea what the dream means Nessa :0

Aw thanks Raven you're very kind. I can't analyse dreams so I really don't know what it all means. :)

Maybe you secretly want to be singer Rich? I don't know. :(

I think it's time Tina moved into her own home don't you Pam?

Oh you played along Connie, well done!

maryt/theteach said...

Great last line for the limerick, Akalamalu! Thank you for participating!

Lo Kelween said...

I didn't know kids in Siberia never recite twinkle twinkle little stars..:)

Robin said...

you always have such great stories!

Akelamalu said...

Oh thanks Teach :)

I made it up Eel Wind ;)

Thanks Robin I'm glad you enjoye them honey. x

Cloudia said...

You are the word master!
Alosh-

SSQuo said...

Great job, I have to come back and try this out sometime. Today, my mind aint working. :)

Akelamalu said...

Aw thanks Cloudia x

Hi SSQuo welcome to my blog. I hope you do join in Wordzzles, it's great fun. :)