Followers

Saturday 28 March 2009

Saturday Wordzzle # 56



The idea is, every week Raven (Views From Raven's Nest) gives you between 8 and 10 words/phrases and you have to create a small but coherent paragraph using every one of them and the same with the mini challenge. You can do either, both or a megawordzzle using all the words, or even all three, it's up to you, you can post them on your blog or email them to Raven. If you join in go to Raven's and put your name on the Mr. Linky so other participants can come visit you.



Here's my efforts, complete with my doodles.




This Week's Ten Word Challenge is: partition, imagination, salvation, mirror image, green power, highway, roasting marshmallows, serial killer, autograph, cartography
Sitting in his cell , Henry Greenpower stared at his mirror image on the partition wall and contemplated his life. It could have been so different had he followed a different highway and pursued his love of cartography, used his imagination, he could have been anything he wanted to be instead of what he was – a serial killer.


True, people wanted his autograph but because he was infamous not famous.

He was beyond salvation now, no roasting marshmallows for him now, the only thing that would be roasting would be him in the electric chair!



Mini Challenge: cell phone, Big Mac, panther, legendary, poets corner



Jack, the vet at the county zoo, was sitting in the poet’s corner of the library reading a report in the paper about a big cat that had been seen roaming the countryside. Leaving the library he crossed the street to McDonanlds, he found a seat and was enjoying his burger when his cell phone rang. A voice said “Jack, we’ve captured the legendary spotted panther we’ve got it at the zoo, you have to come now!”

“It will have to wait until I’ve finished my lunch” said Jack, licking mayo from his fingers. “Big Cats can wait, Big Mac’s can’t” he said.


Megawordzzle
“We’ve got a serial killer on the loose” the Sheriff told Mac, “we need a map of the forest.”    "Big Mac" McGuinness was legendary in these parts, cartography was Mac’s thing. It seemed the police department thought the killer was hiding out in the forest but it was a huge place so they needed to section it off to search, hence the map. Mac knew about the twelve murders, which had been attributed to the person they were calling the "Black Panther".


“Sure thing” said Mac I’ll get on it straight away.


Mac worked for Green Power, a company developing renewable energy projects, something very close to his heart, he loved nature and the forest. He was also a valued member of the Salvation Army, he helped run the hostel that was open to walkers, who regularly came to the area because it was so beautiful.


The police believed the murdered men and women had been killed in the forest, then their bodies had been dumped on the highway, the partition between the two halves of the forest, to make sure they’d be found. All the victims had been marked by what looked like a star on the sole of their foot, other than that there didn’t seem to be any connection between them.
Once Mac had drawn up the map the Sheriff marked it into manageable areas, printed off some copies and handed them out to the search teams.

“Mac is coming along with me” he told the teams “I’ve written his cell phone number on the map, if you find anything give him a ring and he can guide me to where you are.”

Mac knew they wouldn’t find the killer in the forest and got annoyed when they would keep calling the mark on the victim’s soles a star. Why didn’t they just use their imagination. It’s wasn’t difficult to see what it was, it wasn’t a mirror image or anything, it was a wind turbine – his autograph. He thought back to his first victim and how annoyed he was to find the man roasting marshmallows over a fire in the forest and reading like he was in poet’s corner in the library. The man had left the fire smouldering when he moved on, they had no respect for nature these walkers!

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI!Just wanted to stop by and say thank you for stopping by 1sst Sgt.'s blog yesterday.I knew if I put the word out to my friends they would come through,but I forgot the added benefit of meeting friends friends! I'll be back!

tony said...

(I,m in "Lord Longford-mode" this morning)FREE Henry Greenpower!!!!!!!

Thom said...

Great stories and very well written. Let's hear it for the electric chair :)

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Your Ten Word Challenge worked as your character study, and then your Mega Wordzzle really rocked. The turbine revelation is fabulous!

Did you know you're presenting something to me over at my place? It was given out at the end of December, but you know how I collect these things...

Dr.John said...

Great writing and art as usual. My favorite is the last one. Never expected the ending.
Well done.

Anndi said...

Big macs can't wait LOL

I LOVED THAT!

Dr.John said...

Just a note your link at Raven's isn't working. I forgot to mention that before.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i LOVE your little marshmallow guy! you are quite the artist honey!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoox

bettygram said...

I was surprised at the killer. He was right there in their group.

Raven said...

Three great ones. I love the "Big Macs can't wait" line (and that burger doodle looked pretty tasty too). Your mega had the usual magnificent twist at the end. Well done!

Oh... almost forgot... your Mr. Linky isn't linking.

Nessa said...

I like the image of the serial killer roasting like a marshmallow.

Akelamalu said...

It was my pleasure Hope, nice to meet you. :)

LOL you make me laugh Tony :)

Glad you enjoyed them Thom.

Ah thanks Julia. You finally got round to putting up your awards did you? :)

I'm pleased the twist at the end of the mega worked Dr. John :)

I don't even like Big Macs Anndi ;)

Thanks for letting me know about the link Dr. John x

I'm quite pleased with that one too Bee :)

Yes Bettygram he was in their midst all the time! :0

Oh I'm so pleased you enjoyed them Rave. I've put another link up on Mr. Linky, thanks for letting me know. :)

Gruesome though eh Nessa? :(

maryt/theteach said...

Akalamalu, I think there is real talent in the shorter the Wordzzle is when you write it! Know what I mean. Your wordzzles are great! :)

Travis Cody said...

Great twist on the last story!

quilly said...

Excellent writing. I suspected Big Mac the cartographer was the killer, then you convinced me he wasn't -- and then you revealed he was! Tricksy and captivating story.

Richard said...

Great story this week and of course you had your signature ending. I look forward to each week's offering from you girl. Thanks

Dianne said...

that anndi is my girl, we both loved the same line ;)
I have read about people wanting the autograph of a serial killer - Son of Sam struck in my neighborhood and I'll never forget how people went and took photos of the scene - I don't get it.

Thom - - Dr. John said...

I don't know if Big Macs are fried or not, but Henry Greenpower certainly was!

Nice double twist in the mega too.

Carletta said...

I agree with Mary - yours are always short, easy to read, and awesome!
Your mega endings - very literary worthy!

Always enjoyable here!

Akelamalu said...

Why thankyou Teach, how kind. :)

Glad you liked it Trav :)

I'm pleased the twists worksed Quilly :)

Ah you're very kind Rich, thanks for reading. x

Some people have a very morbid sense of curiosity don't they Dianne? :(

Yep Henry was destined to be frazzled Jeff :)

Aw thanks Carletta I'm so pleased you enjoye them. :)

Casdok said...

Very clever! :)

Daryl said...

Excellent .. and I am loving those sketches ..

skywind said...

Ha ha, very funny. LOL
Health information
Humor & Fun World

San said...

Akelamalu, you weave your wordzzles most cleverly. I believe my favorite is the snapshot of Henry Greenpower, serial killer. Signature and all.

Akelamalu said...

Cheers Casdok :)

Thanks Daryl x

Thankyou Skywind :)

Henry had a difficult childhood San ;)

Misty DawnS said...

I always love when you put a twist in the ending!!! You are SO talented and creative with these.