Followers

Saturday 21 March 2009

Saturday Wordzzle # 55




The idea is, every week Raven (Views From Raven's Nest) gives you between 8 and 10 words/phrases and you have to create a small but coherent paragraph using every one of them and the same with the mini challenge. You can do either, both or a megawordzzle using all the words, or even all three, it's up to you, you can post them on your blog or email them to Raven. If you join in go to Raven's and put your name on the Mr. Linky so other participants can come visit you.



Complete with my doodles.



This Week's Ten Word Challenge is: humanity, shadow, ricochet, wrong, pluralism, mathematics, personhood, printing press, ink spot, choral society
Sian was dreading the spelling test at school. She wasn’t very good at spelling, her forte was music and she was happiest when she was at the choral society.



As the teacher began to read out the words Sian attempted to write each one down; humanity, shadow, ricochet, little beads of perspiration began to form on her brow. The teacher’s voice droned on; pluralism, personhood, she’d never even heard of those before let alone know how to spell them; printing press, mathematics, ink spot, ah those weren’t too bad. At last it was over. The teacher instructed the students to swap papers so they could be marked as she wrote the words on the board. Sian wasn’t surprised to learn that she had got most of the words wrong.



Mini Challenge: kingdom, take names, best seller, three times, inner demons

Timothy Kingdom, three times winner of the Kiriyama Prize, was launching his latest novel, which would no doubt be a best seller. He was undoubtedly a great writer but one thing he couldn’t do was think up names for his characters. To solve this little problem he used to take names from the local gravestones and had no inner demons telling him it was wrong, it was all part of being an author.


Megawordzzle


Carlos was in a lot of trouble, he’d been in trouble before, but this time he really was innocent.

To all intent and purpose Carlos was a businessman with a vast kingdom but he was a shadowy figure whom the police believed was involved in all things illegal – drug/people trafficking, protection rackets etc., the only problem was they hadn’t been able prove it. To his friends and employees he was a benefactor, to anyone who crossed him he could be the devil himself, pluralism, being all things to all men, was not beyond him. One thing for sure – you wouldn’t want to cross him!


Carlos couldn’t believe he had been charged with Stuart Parker’s murder. It was like the plot of a best seller, almost unbelievable. Stuart Parker had worked for Carlos for many years as a publisher at Dozer Publications, which was one of Carlos Mendozer’s business interests that just happened to be legitimate.



Carlos had been with Stuart that afternoon and should have been going to a concert given by his wife’s choral society, unfortunately he never made it as he started feeling unwell, and he’d gone home instead. He had sent Rebecca, his wife, a text to tell her where he was. The rest of the staff at Dozer’s had left half an hour before Carlos and his parting words to Stuart were “See you at the end of the week.”



Now Stuart was dead. They found no weapon and the only fingerprints were those of Stuart, the rest of the staff and Carlos Mendozer. The killer had fired the gun three times, seemingly wild, and one bullet had ricocheted off the printing press and hit Stuart right between the eyes, leaving a stain like an ink spot on his forehead. The police were there to take names and check alibis and the only person who didn’t have an alibi was Carlos – if only he’d gone to the concert. The evidence against him wasn’t overwhelming but the prosecutor did a good job of convincing the jury that the mathematics added up to the killer being Carlos. They were wrong but he couldn’t prove it and no matter how much he protested they weren’t about to show him any humanity, they wanted him put away for life.

Rebecca said goodbye to Carlos, who was going into a harsh prison system that deprives prisoners of their personhood for something he hadn’t done. She was devastated. She was fighting her inner demons, how she wished she’d never started the affair with Stuart, then he wouldn’t have dumped her and she wouldn’t have gone after him with the gun.

25 comments:

bettygram said...

It was sad that Carlos was jailed but his other life may have influence that. Good story.

Anonymous said...

Great use of all the words. And what a surprise ending. I sure hope that Carlos gets vindicated somehow. Excellent :)

Raven said...

These were great! I could so empathize with poor Sian! Timothy Kingdom was clever... and the last was like a mini novel with one of your wonderful and clever twists at the end. At least Carlos probably deserved to be in jail for something else.

Fandango said...

Well done.
Another great wordzzle by a great writer.
We did feel sorry for Carlos but then he was a bad man.
However, it doesn't seem fair to let the woman get off.
Perhaps we will forget our promise and eat her.

Dianne said...

oh poor Sian - I was a lot like that in school even though I would then get most right lol
next week would come and I'd get sick with anxiety all over again

Finding Pam said...

I love your mind and how cleverly it works. You can take anything and make an interesting story from it. I am sure you were an A+ student!

I feel the same way as the Dragons do...let them devour that bad woman as well as Carlos. It' all in who you know? Calling all Dragons...

Travis Cody said...

Another great twist on a story there.

Akelamalu said...

I know he was innocent on this occasion Bettygram but he'd done some bad things!

I think Carlos is destined to serve a very long sentence Thom! Glad you like it.

Oh yes Raven, Carlos definitely deserved what he got.

The dragons are going after Rebecca eh Fandango? That would make a great story! I'm pleased you enjoyed it.

I too used to get sick with worry over any sort of test as school Dianne, despite the fact I always did well.

Oh you're very kind Pam thankyou. I'm all for the dragons going hunting too!

Cheers Trav x

Donnetta said...

"A:" You weave those words so well! By the way, has anyone ever said that some of your pictures on the slide show remind them of actress Jodi Foster? I sure do see a resemblance. D

Anonymous said...

Now that looks like a lot of fun. Well done you. I don't think I have time to do it at the weekend but maybe......
Cheers

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i can't do this but you did a great job!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

tony said...

You Tango With Words So Beautifully! Have a grand Sunday My friend from Heywood! (i was in Rochdale last night!!!!!)

Richard said...

And still another great ending. Great story.

Carletta said...

Both mini and ten word were absolutely wonderful.
I can NEVER guess where you're going with your mega's - it is always a delightfully surprising ending!

Cloudia said...

You amaze me, Ake!
Aloha, Dear

Akelamalu said...

Cheers Donnetta. One or two people say they see a resemblance in me to Jodi, I wish I could act as well as she! :)

It's a challenge for sure Maddy but fun too. Maybe you will join in next week eh?


Bee I think you'd do a great job if you decided to have a go. :)


I hope you had a great time 'up the road' in Rochdale Tony. :)

Thanks Rich :)

You're very kind Carletta thankyou. x

My thanks to you my dear Cloudia xx

maryt/theteach said...

Good, creative Wordzzle, Akalamalu! Thanks for dropping by my SSS post today! :)

Connie T. said...

Good use of these words. They stumped me so I didn't write one this week. I did write a story about a picture on my other blog.

Connieemeraldeyes
You always make up great stories with the given words.

Nessa said...

The first story was scary, since I can't spell.

Love the others; D

lissa said...

I like the spelling test idea and the megawordzzle is a great tale

ArneA said...

Thanks for visiting.
Your blog is intriguing and I have to dig deeper to see if I will join Raven´s
through Mr. Linky

Akelamalu said...

Thanks Teach, glad you enjoyed it.

I really thought I wouldn't be joining in either when I saw the words Connie! :0

LOL sorry I scared you Nessa x

I'm happy you enjoyed them Nessa :)

I hope you do join in Wordzzles Arne, the more the merrier!

Anonymous said...

Nicely done!

Daryl said...

Another bunch of winning words .. you are - I know I say this all the time - sooo good at this!

Akelamalu said...

Thanks Citizen :)

And you're very kind to me Daryl xx