Followers

Wednesday 3 December 2008

Pudsey........

This is Pudsey Bear the symbol of



The BBC Children in Need Appeal is a registered charity.  The charity operates all year round, not just the months leading up to Appeal night, and staff around the UK process thousands of applications for funding. Every year the funding requests exceed the amount of money raised so all applications are carefully assess to ensure that grants are targeted on areas of real need. Voluntary committee members, based in each region, draw on their expertise and local knowledge to advise the board of Trustees which projects should receive grants, and funds are allocated geographically to ensure that all corners of the UK get a share of the money raised.   In 2007 the BBC Children in Need Appeal raised over £37 million.

As you probably know I work in a school and when Children In Need day comes around (November 14th this year) all the school is involved in raising money for this worthwhile charity.    One of my colleagues and I hold a Teddy Creche, where the students bring in their beloved teddies for us to look after for the day. We charge the students 20p per teddy but they get a raffle ticket to win another teddy, which we provide, and we charge 50p for staff teddies


We feel very priviledged to be trusted to look after cherished teddies, a couple of the staff’s teddies were 30 years old!



Each teddy has a label showing the teddy’s name and it’s owner and we take photographs during the day of the teddies doing various activities i.e. being read a story by one of the teachers, going for a walk etc.  At the end of the day each teddy is given a report saying things like

‘Really enjoyed the games and made lots of friends’


‘Very well behaved. Welcome back any time.’


‘Took time to settle but then had a good day.’


‘Spilt milk but otherwise very good indeed.’


‘Enjoyed story time and snacks.’


‘Missed parent at first but soon joined in the fun.’


‘Made new friends easily, had a good time.’


‘Was a little tired so had a nap then joined in the fun.’


‘Very well behaved and friendly.’





The students love the reports and pop in at break and lunchtime to make sure their teddy is OK. We write ‘special’ reports for the staff teddies, this year one of the Form Tutors brought her teddy in but had forgotten to tell her students to bring in theirs, so her teddy’s report read:

“Seems unable to follow simple instructions!”

Another member of staff told us we’d put Teddy Creche on Friday not Thursday on the email we'd sent round and she doctored the email prove it, her teddy’s report said:

“Bit of a practical joker, and a little naughty.”

This year we made £32 to give to Children in Need, it is usually more but we had to do it on the 13th instead of on the 14th and a lot of students got confused so didn’t bring their teddies in.

I’ve put together a little slide show of the Teddies and what they got up to.




If you'd like to read more or make a donation to Children in Need just click on the link under the picture of Pudsey at the top of this post.


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Do you remember my Christmas Carol Quiz last year?    Well I'm doing another one next week if you'd like to join in and win a nice badge for your sidebar.    

I'll give you a list of initials which represent the first line of Christmas Carols and Songs.

Here's an example:
O.I.R.D.C. - Once In Royal David's City - get the idea?

I'll give you 6 days to Email (through my profile) your answers to me then I'll post the answers and the
winner(s).

All those who get any right can claim a swish badge for their blog.

I hope you'll join in.


40 comments:

lettuce said...

thats so sweet. i love their little notes. Do any of them get bad reports?

Gledwood said...

Talking of teddies I'm pretty sure we used to have a Steiff teddy... a really old (or old-looking) one. Are they antiques? Worth $$$s?...??

Catch said...

what a great time for the kids to bring in their teddies and get the sweet little notes for them....very cute!!!

I put your blog in then went into the kitchen to make toast and was dancing around to your tunes!!!! loved it!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

oh what a cute idea!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Akelamalu said...

Only the staff teddies get bad reports Lettuce - the kids think it's great!

Steiff teddies are very collectable Gleds, if yours is in good condition it could be worth a bit!

Glad you enjoyed the music Catch, you'r obviously a Motown fan! The kids love it though it's usually the younger ones who bring their teddies in.

We thought so Bee and it's in a good cause. :)

Ron said...

Oh, Akelamalu....this is such an AWESOME idea!!!!

I love the little captions!

I don't know whether you know this about me, but I happen to be a teddy bear lover. I use to collect oodles of them, but had to eventually stop my teddy bear habit, because they were taking over my studio apartment!!!

I now have only one teddy.

However, he gets rather lonely!

Tee, hee!

Thanks for sharing this, dear lady.

It totally tickled my heart!

Enjoy your day!

Anndi said...

Awwwwwwwwwwww!!!

Ok, that actually got me a little misty-eyed. :)

G-Man said...

er...I was thinking of a different kind of Teddy.Grrrrrrrr

3 whole inches of snow?
How DO you survive?..:p

buffalodick said...

A good cause, by all accounts!

Anonymous said...

That is such a cute idea! I love the little reports especially the ones for the staff, “Seems unable to follow simple instructions!” I had so many coworkers that fell under that category at my last job. :P

Lu' said...

I used to collect those beanie babies from TY. I kept them from dust, never played with them. I had a heck of time trying to find someone to take them. I didn't want to sell them. I didn't want to take them to a second hand store. I wanted to give them to children. Our club the Middletown Angles and Hunters gives families in need Christmas gifts and so I asked if they would like to have them, I had like 30 or something. She said sure and commented that she was real suprised to see what great shape they were in and that the children would love to have them. Made me feel quite good.

Jo Beaufoix said...

I love that idea, it's brilliant and adorable. And bring on the carols again, hee hee.

the mother of this lot said...

You were very brave to look after all those teddies!

Looking forward to the quiz!

Dr.John said...

What a clever way to raise money for a very good cause.

Anonymous said...

What a cool fund-raising idea!

Lo Kelween said...

ehm..I am not a big fan of teddies...coz I am allergic to fur and dust.

each teddy with it's own name, that's very nice. that's why people say teddies are great friends in our childhood ;)

Cloudia said...

So sweet! Perhaps I'll post some similar friends . . . .Hmmmmm
aloha my friend-

Elaine Denning said...

What a wonderful idea!

MarmiteToasty said...

Im glad you schools up there do that special day..... ours down here do to and always come up with some crazy money making fun plan....

The children always look forward to Pudsy day as they call it LOL

x

MarmiteToasty said...

Im glad you schools up there do that special day..... ours down here do to and always come up with some crazy money making fun plan....

The children always look forward to Pudsy day as they call it LOL

x

storyteller said...

Thanks for bringing this worthy cause to our attention. Pudsy is so sweet ... and the little notes are adorable too ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Unknown said...

Ahh Thats lovely. I still have an original Mickey mouse that lives in my wardrobe. He is over 40 and delicate but he has gone everywhere with me. I just bring him out now and again so the the grandchildren can look.

Akelamalu said...

You're a big softee Anndi xx

Naughty G-man ;)
We don't cope with snow at all! :)

It is Buff :)

I know what you mean Erica! :)

Aaaah you're beanies went to a good cause Luc x

It's a great idea where kids are concerned Jo, they love it.

We had to take good care of them MOTL they're very precious! ;)

Thanks Dr. John :)

We thought so Citizen :)

I think everyone who has a teddy gives it a name Eelwind.

Oh yes, do Cloudia :)

Glad you think so Laney x

Yeah it's a great day for the kids to know they're helping others not as fortunate as them isn't it Marmie?

The kids really look forward to their teddy's report Storyteller.

WOW fancy having a toy over 40 years old Carol! I presume you don't let the grandkids actually play with him? ;)

Flowerpot said...

that is lovely ~Ak - someone else told me an amazing story about their son's teddy bear who travelled all over the world and was nearly lost off a banana boat!

Linda said...

What a cute idea and I love all of the reports - "Split milk" and all! Too cute!

Looking forward to your Christmas quiz game though if I remember correctly I didn't do all that well last year. But I'm willing to give it a go.

david mcmahon said...

What a wondeful concept.

Akelamalu said...

Oh what a lovely story of a teddy travelling the word Flowerpot!

The kids always want to know if their teddies have been good so they really look forward to the reports Linda. I hope you enjoy the quiz. x

Thanks David. :)

Daryl said...

What a wonderful and fun thing this Teddy Creche is .. brilliant way to raise money.

:-Daryl

cheshire wife said...

Lovely idea! My teddy would be very jealous if he knew about this.

Akelamalu said...

Thanks Daryl x

You'll have to bring your teddy next year Cheshire Wife, we'll take good care of him and he'll be in good company with my five!

Sandi McBride said...

What a great idea for a Teddy Bear Creche...I think I must pass this on to my sister, I'm sure she'll find it's something she'd like to do for her children! Thank you so much.
hugs
Sandi

Travis Cody said...

One of my favorite things to do during the holidays is to drop toys in the various collection bins for needy children. We do it just about every time we go out during the month of December.

Marshall Family said...

I absolutely love the idea of a teddy bear creche! What a unique idea! Well done :) x

Akelamalu said...

I really hope your sister can do something with it Sandi :)

What a lovely idea Trav :0

It's a little different Emmie and fun. :)

Finding Pam said...

What an inspiring way to encourage young children to care about others. Plus you can reinforce good behavior through the sweet little notes about their teddy. Adorable. That must take a lot of time to care for so many teddy bears? That is why teachers are so fantasitic!

Akelamalu said...

It's great fun and we enjoy it Pam but we're admin staff not teachers. It takes up too much time for the teachers to do, they're far too busy.

Unknown said...

How do you fix bad posture in adults
latest reviews of game camera in 2019
Do shoulder braces work for posture
back braces reviews for men 2019
posture brace in 2019
latest reviews of game camera in 2019
brace
difference between a game camera and a trail camera

Palm Resort said...

visit here

rafting said...

know more
visit here

rafting said...

Can you explain the different difficulty levels of rafting in Rishikesh?
What is the height of the bungee jumping platform in Rishikesh?