Followers

Saturday 25 October 2008

Saturday Wordzzle # 36





The idea is, every week Raven (View From Raven's Nest) gives you between 8 and 10 words/phrases and you have to create a small but coherent paragraph using every one of them and the same with the mini challenge. You can do either, both or a megawordzzle using all the words, or even all three, it's up to you, you can post them on your blog or email them to Raven. If you join in go to Raven's and put your name on the Mr. Linky so other participants can come visit you.



Here are my efforts - complete with my doodles



This Week's Ten Word Challenge is: build-a-bear workshop, man bites dog, opulent, disparaging, lipstick stain, preponderance, smoky quartz, clothes pin, meticulous, falling leaves


The preponderance of falling leaves indicated Autumn had arrived. Carla was taking the children to the build-a-bear workshop this afternoon then dropping them off at her mother’s house for the weekend. First she had to pack a few clothes for them, making sure she only chose the best and warmest from their wardrobe. Her mother was very meticulous, she didn't even hang clothes out on the line because she couldn't stand the mark the clothes pin left.

When she finished packing the small overnight case Carla smoothed her skirt, hoping her mother wouldn’t notice the slight lipstick stain as she pulled down her blouse to cover it, slipped on the opulent smoky quartz ring that had been a present from her husband and ushered the children into the car. The afternoon was a great success the children loved the workshop and were happy to be going to stay with their granny.

Carla had told her mother she was going on a hen weekend, she didn’t want her mother to know where she was really going. She could just imagine the disparaging remarks her mother would make if she knew Carla was appearing in an amateur dramatics production called ‘Man Bites Dog’.


Mini Challenge: moisturizing, pickles, seat belt, flip-flop, Chicago



Moira fastened her seat belt and set off for the beauty salon. She was wearing flip-flops because she intended having a pedicure and a deep moisturizing treatment in readiness for her theatre visit tonight to see the hit musical ‘Chicago’. Unfortunately she had eaten too many pickles last night and was feeling decidedly uncomfortable, she hoped the flatulence they had caused wouldn’t be an embarrassment.






Megawordzzle



Walking through the falling leaves Colin sat down on a park bench to read his newspaper, he was surprised to read the headline ‘Chicago Man Bites Dog’, however Colin was more interested in the Situations Vacant columns, he had lost his job and was desperate to find work. He had been working in a dry cleaners shop and had been sacked because a customer had complained that there was still a red lipstick stain on her smoky quartz coloured dress, despite meticulous cleaning. Unfortunately she had used a particularly moisturising lipstick containing a lot of oil, so it was difficult to remove. Now he was in a pickle, he was out of work and had no way of paying the due rent on his rather opulent apartment.

The customer had made a lot of disparaging remarks about his competency, even going as far as to suggest he’d make a bad job of working in a build-a-bear workshop! He’d apologised profusely and offered to clean the dress again but she was having none of it, the witch had insisted the manager fire him.

Colin took a break from scouring the ads and let his tired eyes scour the park instead. He was amazed at the preponderance of discarded items including a flip flop, a couple of clothes pins and even a car seat belt, this gave him an idea, he’d set up a house clearance business. Colin wasn’t one to hang about, he used his savings to buy a van, advertise his business and was delighted when the calls started coming in. Two years down the line his business was prospering.

Arriving at a house one morning, to give a price for some items for sale, he was surprised to come face-to-face with the witch who had got him sacked, of course she didn’t recognise him. She was happy with the price he gave her for the goods, but not half as happy as Colin, when one of the paintings he bought off her made £100,000 at auction!



I won't be doing a wordzzle next Saturday as I'll be on my way back from a break in Poland.

21 comments:

Elaine Denning said...

Did you really draw that peg? It's brilliant! I come here to see your art work now, lol.

Oooh, Poland...you lucky thing. Hope you have a great time :)

lettuce said...

build-a-bear workshop - that had me smiling right from the start!


have a GREAT time in poland

Akelamalu said...

All the doodles are my own work Laney - like they're real works of art! ((wink)) Glad you like them though. x

Lettuce, When I first saw that I thought 'how the hell am I going to fit that in?'

SMM said...

Hey Akelamalu...how are you? Just wrote the concluding part to my story.

Btw I love the one where Moira sets of for the salon. i do that once a month too or at least try to :)

Have a great time in poland

Dr.John said...

Three great stories but the last was the best.
I love stories where the bad guy gets hers in the end.
Boy you can draw and you can write and your going to Poland. I envy you.

bettygram said...

I liked your stories. I like your drawings. I like your last one because of the success and pay back.

Daisy said...

Brilliant as ever!! I love the names you choose in your stories, they are always so ecelectic! Have a wonderful trip, and wrap up warm!!

Melli said...

Ahhhhhhh! The Mega! You have a knack for developing sweet revenge! GREAT story! The other's were good too!

Enjoy Poland! We will miss you!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

poland is broken??? (sorry, could not help myself!)

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxxoxo

Raven said...

Wonderful as always. I think the first one was my favorite, but I'm glad Colin got his reward in the end.

Have a great trip to Poland. Funny, I never really hear much about people going to Poland.

Raven said...

By the way, Colin made me think of your son. I hope things are turning around for him and that life is on the upswing.

Akelamalu said...

I'm good thanks SMM x
I wish I had time to go to the salon, maybe when I retire I'll make a point of it! :)

I like payback too Dr. John. I'm pleased you enjoyed it all. :)

Hi Bettygram,thanks and I'm glad you enjoyed them.

I'm planning my scarves and gloves for the trip Daisy ;)

I always say 'you'll get yours' when people do anything wrong and I like to make sure they do in my stores Melli ;)

Oh Bee, what are you like? LOL

I don't suppose people think of Poland as a holiday destination Raven. We are still fighting for justice on my son's case, I will update as soon as I can. Thanks for thinking of him. xx

Dianne said...

I'm glad Carla is doing something for herself

and

hurrah for Colin! LOL
I love when the little guy does good.

You have a wonderful knack akelamalu for writing about justice and fair play. As wonderful as your twisted endings.

Safe and happy trip!

Linda said...

Poor Moira was in a bit of a pickle, wasn't she?!?

Great Word Wuzzles and Doodles as per your usual!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Richard said...

You remain the queen of Awesome Endings. Once again I got caught up in the story and caught off guard by the great ending. It's so nice to see the villians get their comeupance.

Rich

Cloudia said...

What fun! I love coming here ;-)
(Motown!!)

Chatty said...

Oohhh. I love them all - but the last one made me the happiest - good for Colin! I also hope that Carla enjoyed her stint at acting - and I really liked your cute doodle of a clothespin...

Akelamalu said...

I do hate injustice Dianne perhaps that's why I write about it so much. Glad you enjoyed it.

Moira is giving up pickles Linda, the after effects are too embarrassing! ;)


Why thankyou for your praise Richard, you're very kind. :)


That's so good to hear Cloudia x


It's great when the 'baddie' gets their comeupppance isn't it Chatty! :)

Travis Cody said...

I like the lesson of the last one. We can dwell on our circumstances and hold grudges, or we can change our circumstances and make something new and positive.

Well done!

Akelamalu said...

Yes there's a lesson in everthing that happens to us Trav :)

Lu' said...

Good for Colin. I guess he took her to the cleaners :)