Followers

Saturday 4 October 2008

Saturday Wordzzle # 33



The idea is, every week Raven (View From A Raven's Nest) gives you between 8 and 10 words/phrases and you have to create a small but coherent paragraph using every one of them and the same with the mini challenge. You can do either, both or a megawordzzle using all the words, or even all three, it's up to you, you can post them on your blog or email them to Raven. If you join in go to Raven's and put your name on the Mr. Linky so other participants can come visit you.



Here are my efforts - complete with my doodles.



This Week's Ten Word Challenge is: tattletale, homogeneous, flighty, cornucopia, plethora, militant, lovelorn, myopic , digitalized, mute




A plethora of homogeneous, digitalized images appeared on the screen, as Janice searched the internet looking for a birthday present for her flighty, lovelorn friend. Adjusting the spectacles she wore because she was myopic, she clicked on an image and immediately wished she’d muted the speakers as a voice blared out announcing a new store called ‘Cornucopia’. Janice quickly turned off the speakers when she spotted the new tattletale junior skulking about, obviously just waiting for a chance to blab about something to the office manager. Well Janice didn’t care anymore, just let them say anything and she would show her militant side, she’d tell them where to stuff the job. She was in a very fortunate position, she hadn’t told them yet that she’d won the lottery.



And for the Mini Challenge: washing machine, cholesterol, blatantly, Birdman of Alcatraz, poltergeist

Eve settled down to watch ‘The Birdman of Alcatraz’ with a glass of wine and a bar of chocolate, which she knew wouldn’t do her cholesterol any good but she would live with the consequences, she was used to blatantly lying to her doctor about what she ate. Suddenly the lamp on the television table toppled to the floor, then a photograph of her dear departed mother fell off the wall.

“What’s going on?” she said aloud.

Next thing the vase of flowers on the sideboard wobbled precariously, something was seriously wrong. Poltergeist flashed across Eve’s mind but she dismissed it, there must be a logical explanation. Picking up a glass tumbler from the work surface in the kitchen she held it to the adjoining wall to her neighbour’s house and listened. That was it, her neighbour had got that damned vibrating washing machine on again, she really would have to have words with him.



Megawordzzle



A tattletale and myopic by nature, Penelope’s colleagues were sick of her blatantly spreading rumours.

They decided to set her up on a date with Walter, known as the Birdman of Alcatraz because he bred budgerigars, hoping love would blossom and give her something else to think about.

Walter and Penelope got on like a house on fire, much to everyone’s surprise. Homogeneous in their attitude to life, it wasn’t long before Penelope was offering to do Walter’s laundry in her washing machine and baking a plethora of fattening cakes for him, which he complained would send his cholesterol soaring.

Penelope couldn’t believe how happy she was, she felt her cornucopia was overflowing. People in the office were pleasantly surprised at how much Penelope had changed from the militant and flighty nuisance she had once been, it was amazing what love could do.

Then Chrissy the new Office Manager arrived. She swept into the office like a poltergeist, disturbing the calm, she digitalized all the records, made new rules, generally upsetting everyone, except Walter. Walter was enthralled with Chrissy, in his eyes she could do no wrong. It wasn’t long before Penelope was seeing less of Walter and it broke her heart.

Chrissy was dumbfounded when, at the end of her three month probation period, the powers that be said she wasn’t suitable and they would have to let her go. Poor lovelorn Penelope, her happiness in jeopardy, had no choice but to go back to her old ways, she’d been mute on the rumour front for too long.

26 comments:

lettuce said...

for some reason, these particular combinations of words have struck me as very funny.

something about flighty and cornucopia...
and birdman of alcatraz


as ever, you make this look so easy

Clarence said...

WooHoo! Janice got the lottery! I love it when good things happen to the main character. :)

HeatherK said...

Those are great. Good job. I'll Have to try and expand mine a bit so more fun to read.

Dr.John said...

I loved all three stories.
I really liked the washing machine as the poltergeist. I never thought of that, very clever.

Donnetta said...

As always, fun reading. Enjoyed very much! D

Deb said...

I agree with dr.john ~ the washing machine twist was very clever! You must get up very early in order to create these clever pieces or else you never go to sleep! And, just so you know, I am creating a post about my wonderful award - I do appreciate your kindness. Didn't want you to think I was ignoring you! Enjoy your weekend!

Linda said...

I was wondering how you were going to work the Birdman of Alcatraz and Poltergeist into the same story but I should have known you'd do it creatively and humorously!

Great job as per usual!

Raven said...

You are always so clever at this and make it look/sound so easy. I loved the happy surprise ending of the first one. And poor Penelope... I hope she gets her own back. I loved all three of these. I struggled so with these words.

Dianne said...

I was very happy for Janice and in a twisted sort of way I was happy for Penelope too lol
she took care of that office manager!!

great stories as always Lady :)

Anonymous said...

You did a wonderful job.... My favorite was that they got on like a house on fire! Winning the lotto was nice too.
Have a great weekend.

I'd love it if you participated in Fun Monday - I'm hosting this week.

Akelamalu said...

Definitely funny words this week Lettuce - I really struggled with them.

I'd like to be in Janice's position Clarence!

I'm pleased you liked them Heather, thankyou. :)

Thanks Dr. John :)

Cheers Donnetta :)


I write them down as they come to me Deb so I have a few in hand. :)


Oh I struggled this week believe me Linda!

Penelope definitely got her revenge Raven, who do you think started the rumours about Chrissy? ;)

Akelamalu said...

Yes Penelope certainly took care of that office manager Dianne! ;)

Glad you enjoyed them Mommywizdom, I'll take a look at FunMonday, can't promise anything mind. :)

Jeff B said...

Well played.

I had a heck of a time getting these words to flow for me this week. No mega as a result.

Melli said...

Ohhhhh I LOVED the 10 Word! Haven't we ALL wanted to be in THAT position a time or two? Yes indeed!

The others were good too!

Jay said...

Ah yes. Everyone's dream. Win the lottery and then go into work and just wait for the right moment to stick it to the boss and fellow employees.

All three were wonderful!

Travis Cody said...

I wouldn't tell my employer to go stuff it if I won the lottery. I really do love my job and my company.

However, I would give them 2 weeks notice before I quit to do something else!

snowelf said...

You DO make this look easy! I was cracking up at the store name...it sounds so natural!! And to come blaring from the speakers like that--it's such a funny image. :D

And of course, it has a very happy ending. ;)

Hope you are having a great weekend,

--snow

Lu' said...

I enjoyed them all. Right on Penelope a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

Carletta said...

Your ten word was wonderful - a great ending!
Your mini kept building - I thought for sure Mom would be a poltergeist.
Your mega is wonderful two I just loved the others more this week.

Each time I come I see the pink open and say to myself - 'this is gonna be good!'

Chatty said...

I love them all! But the surprise ending of number 1 was particularly clever. Oh, how I would love to be in her position!

Akelamalu said...

The words were stinkers this week weren't they Jeff!

Oh yes Melli, I'd love to win the lottery and go into work and cause mayhem then tell them to stuff it!

So many people want that dream don't they Jay ;)

It's great when you love your job Trav. I like my job well enough, it's the witch of a boss I hate!

Thankyou snowelf, I'm so pleased you enjoyed them. :)

Revenge is sweet eh Lu? ;)

Oh you're very kind Carletta xx

So many people would like to be in Janice's position Chatty, me included. :)

Elaine Denning said...

You are SO good at writing these stories...and your 55's. Your doodles are great too! Check out 'blurb' and get them published!

Akelamalu said...

Aw thanks Laney, you're very kind. x

aims said...

What great stories you have written. And yes - you do make it look very easy! I loved it!

storyteller said...

You do amaze me! Three distinctly clever tales … a ‘love story’ between Penelope & the Bird Man of Alcatraz … a ‘ghostie’ in the washing machine … I love how your mind works! You should DEFINITELY participate in Fun Monday this week because Mommy Wizdom has patterned it after Wordzzles. I’ll sit this one out … methinks … but I’ll enjoy reading what others create.
Hugs and blessings,

Akelamalu said...

Aw thanks Aims, :)

You're very kind Storyteller. I would have joined in Fun Monday if I'd known about it a few days earlier but I just didn't have time over the weekend to write anything.