Followers

Tuesday 26 February 2008

Life.....



The Sun newspaper has recently carried out a telephone survey on whether ‘Joe Public’ wants the death penalty (hanging) reintroduced to England. Over 100,000 votes were registered, of which 99% voted to bring back hanging. Such is the disgust at our justice and sentencing system!

The trouble with the justice system in this country is that the sentencing for serious crime is an absolute joke! The public are incensed when ‘murderers’ are given a life sentence and we know that it doesn’t mean ‘Life’, but probably a maximum of 20 years. The punishment doesn’t fit the crime.

Probably one of the most publicised murder cases, ‘The Moors Murders, in our history made the news frequently for years because whilst the two people convicted of the murders, Ian Brady and Myra Hindley, were given multiple life sentences, Myra Hindley was always reported as being considered for parole. All the time she was in prison Hindley duped public figures like Lord Longford into campaigning for her release. This, for the families of the children they murdered was intolerable. Anne West, the mother of Lesley Ann Downey (one of the Moors Murder victims), fought a long battle with cancer but vowed she would live to see Myra Hindley die in prison or, if she was ever released, she would kill her. Ann eventually gave into the cancer in 1999, three years before Hindley died in prison in November 2002. Winnie Johnson the mother of Keith Bennett, another of Hindley & Brady’s victims, is still writing to Brady 40+ years on, because her son’s body has never been found. Brady, at least, has always maintained that he never wanted to be released and is still serving his sentence in Ashworth (Mental) Hospital, he has been on hunger strike since 1999. He is reported to have said he will tell the authorities where Keith is buried if they will allow him to die. The Death Penalty had been abolished in England just five months before Hindley and Brady were convicted, otherwise they would have hung.

James Bulger’s mother has to live every day knowing that the two people responsible for taking the life of her two year old son, Robert Thompson and Jon Venables, were released on life licence in 2001 after serving only eight years. Originally the boys were given a ten year sentence each, but in 1995 the Home Secretary, Michael Howard, announced that they would serve 15 years, only to be told by the Court of Appeal that his decision to set a 15-year tariff was unlawful, and the Home Secretary lost his power to set minimum terms for life-sentence prisoners under the age of 18 years. The High Court and European Court of Human Rights have since ruled that politicians can no longer decide how long a life sentence prisoner can remain behind bars. Thompson and Venables have been given new identities and live in a secret location. James Bulger would have been ten years old at the time of their release – the age they were when they tortured and murdered him!

The sentencing of Adam Swellings 19, Stephen Sorton 17 and Jordan Cunliffe 16, who kicked to death 47 year old Garry Newlove outside his home in August last year in front of his 12 year old daughter, has outraged the public. Swellings was released on bail, after he committed an assault, on the day he helped murder Garry Newlove. Swellings was sentenced to a minimum of 17 years, Sorton 15 years and Cunliffe 12 years. How can a sentence of even 17 years compensate for the life of a man, who in 17 years time would have been 64, be only a year off normal retirement age, and looking forward to a life of leisure after working hard all his life?


Where is the justice????


As this Government are reluctant to bring back the Death Penalty to this country, they should be reviewing the sentencing guidelines and change them, so that a Life Sentence means spending the rest of your natural life in prison, with NO chance of release. A Life Sentence should be imposed for the murder of children, murder committed by feral gangs, premeditated murder and fors serial murders. The Court of Human Rights should get its priorities in order, by considering the rights of the victims and not the scum of this earth, who think that taking someone’s life is much like saying “pass the salt” and has little or no consequences apart from a few years in jail and a brand new life to look forward to. The people who commit these crimes are not human and therefore are not entitled to human rights!


Oh and don't get me started on the meagre sentences meted out to Paedophiles, that's yet another post!

24 comments:

Mother of Invention said...

I guess I am rather for it when there is absolutely no doubt they are guilty.

Pam said...

to me, any crimes against children warrant some harsh form of punishment...it's ridiculous how little time murderers serve there. we do seem to have a lot of people sitting on death row here in the u.s. because they're not totally into the death penalty anymore. in some instances, i'm all for it.

of course there's always going to be a battle between the two sides: those for death penalty and those against...it's kind of like talking about religion or politics...but as you can see, i let my opinion be known! lol i could go on more about my thoughts, but i'm gonna leave it at this.

Joe said...

The question I find myself asking is not so much "am I for the death penalty?" (usually I am) but more along the line of "am I willing to pull the lever or push the button myself?"

If the answer is "no," how can I expect someone else to do what I cannot?

Little Wing said...

Pedophiles should NEVER get out of prison!
I am sick of what happens here in the states when they give them second chances!
I agree with you on all of this, Akelamalu!

Smalltown RN said...

I use to think I knew how I felt on this subject...I don't really know anymore.....there is a part of me that says if you take someone's life yours should be taken...then the medical side of me kicks in and I think...what drove that person to do such a terrible crime..to take someones'life...what were their circumstances that brought them to that point...or were they just born evil....Does taking their life bring back the one they killed .....no....a part of me says don't let them off so easy by killing them...make them give back to society....make them do some form of volunteer work...put them out in the fields and make them work....grow crops for needy commuinties....do something to work on reforming themselves if that is at all possible....to me it is not black and white....each case must be looked at individually...there truly might be some of those people that just need to be medicated and the the key thrown away....i certainly do not believe that they should be living with access to computer internet, and luxuries of life that the average working person can not even afford.

Oh this is a very delicate subject...but one that does need to be discussed....great topic...

Flowerpot said...

I agree with you, Ak. MOre and more people nowadays seem to be committing terrible crimes and not being punished - or not enough. I have to agree that I wouldnt like to hang someone but I'm sure there are others who wouldn't mind earning money doing it. Some sadist...

CG said...

I'm not in favour of reintroducing the death penalty. However, you make many very very valid points!

Akelamalu said...

You and many others MOI!

I so agree with you about crimes against children, in fact I have another post waiting in the wings on that very subject. I wouldn't mind so much if they were locked up for life but they're not!

I can understand your reasoning Joe. Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to comment.

If you agree with this post look out for my post on paedophiles -coming soon little wing.

I agree with you when you say you "do not believe that they should be living with access to computer internet, and luxuries of life that the average working person can not even afford" - unfortunately that is usually the case RN!

There just doesn't seem to be any deterrent these days does there Flowerpot? :(

Where crimes against children are concerned, because Life doesn't mean Life, I would vote for the Death Penalty and pull the lever myself CG.

Akelamalu said...

Ooops sorry that second comment was for Ciara

DrillerAA said...

Unfortunately, this is a case of the U.S. following Europe's example.
A life sentence here, rarely means life and the death sentence is almost certainly not going to result in an execution. The guaranteed time frame for appealing the death sentence is 15 years!!! If you're not going to impose the death penality, why have it. It is only a deterrent if it is used and used swiftly.
Generally speaking, the prision system could be taken back 100 years and actually be more of a deterrent than the current "modern" system of justice.
I could go on and on...but I think I will leave it alone. You just hit a nerve.

buffalodick said...

When people are guilty, and unrepentant, it is in the best interest of society, humane, and economical to kill them quickly. There is worse things than death- and some of the guilty have done them upon their victims...

Cream said...

Personally I would be prepared to skin alive anyone who harmed my grandkids. The kids are old enough to defend themselves.
But at the same time, I do not think this is the answer. It may provide closure for the relatives but it doesn't rid us of evil doers. Deterrents such as capital punishment will not stop them.

Anonymous said...

The idea of bringing back hanging shakes me to the core. I don't think the answer to barbaric acts is sinking to barbarism ourselves. I agree that soem crimes are horrific and some people need to be kept away form others. Although I live in a state that does put people to death, I just do not believe we have the right to murder others. It demeans us and makes us less than human.

katie eggeman said...

I go back and forth on my feelings of the death penalty here in the US. In California with appeals and stays etc, the death penalty does not get imposed until many decades after sentencing and all appeals are spent.

Dumdad said...

I hear you. Any crime against children incenses me - and, in those cases, I'd happily pull the lever.

Dave said...

Your post has really upset me as it serves to remind us of how our governments are failing those who follow the laws of our lands and yet maybe THIS is the type of post that we need to give us a push to action.

Though I am upset at the content, I am greatful that you posted it as we all need to be reminded to fight for which is right and that, in this case, is fighting for justice.

Thanks for this reminder.

Akelamalu said...

drilleraa thanks for dropping by and commenting. I agree there is no deterrant any more!

You are right there Buffalo.

If capital punishment won't stop them Cream then I don't know what will. Either way they shouldn't be allowed out of prison to do it again which seems to be happening more and more.

I am all for Life sentences Citizen instead of the death penalty but Life doesn't mean life does it?

If there is a dealth penalty then is should be used swiftly Bankerchick after one appeal. Not dragged on and on.

Me too Dumdad.

Yes Justice seems to be lacking altogether sometimes doesn't it Dave?

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Small aside from my comment yesterday - I fell on my knee 15 years ago, and 8 years ago I had clean-up surgery on it. There may be a replacement in my future... time will tell.

As for the whole death penalty thing - I'm not an eye-for-an-eye person. There is no real deterent for a criminal, anyway. Criminals don't think like you and me. They will never fit in with normal society. Keeping them away from the rest of us would be good - but that takes money, which comes from taxes, and no one likes to pay taxes. People like tax cuts, however. So for every tax cut, there is an early release of a killer. I can't see this trend altering in the forseeable future. In my perfect and slightly warped world, killers would have to serve out their life sentences to the end, would have to give back to society for the $$ spent on their incarceration (maybe as human cosmetics testers) - and after a careful assessment of their personalities, be forced to spend quality time with whatever it is they can't stand. A form of torture, but not officially torture. Like someone who can't bear to be around kids would have to listen to kids' music all day long for 25 years.

Akelamalu said...

Oh well if you do need a knee replacement Julia you at least know of one success story!

I'm not a 'turn-the-other-cheek person. I do believe in an eye-for-an-eye, especially when it concerns childkillers and paedophiles. As keeping them in prison for the rest of their natural costs money and is pointless, the death penalty would seem the sensible option to me.

Gledwood said...

I am totally against the idea of a "life sentence" that means 10-15 years and then life hanging by a petty thread meaning that if you get caught shoplifting you can instantly be returned to jail... why do that to a person that is so petty. Either give a murderer his or her liberty back or lock 'em up for actual LIFE or say "15 years"... I believe in DEATH (never used to) but consider not only how much it costs and the constant possibility of escape but how these monsters are living, breathing and able to whisper their perverted thoughts into young people's heads who happen to get locked up with them and thus spread the evil further...

... and how sick that Ian Huntley WANTED to die and the perverted prison service keep him alive. Let him die! Bring in a voluntary death penalty (why not??? - seriously why on earth not let people who've committed serious crimes and feel they deserve/want to die be put down humanely by firing squad?)

as for paedos KILL 'EM ALL!!

Travis Cody said...

I want criminals brought to justice and I want them punished, and incarcerated so they can't do the crime again. I don't know about rehabilitation and deterrence. It seems to me that if punishments were true deterrents to criminals, then we wouldn't have repeat offenders.

The judicial system should be about justice for victims, proper prosecution so that the guilty parties are convicted, and then proper punishment. If a convicted criminal does more crime, then the punishment is no deterrant and they need to be locked away. Then at least that person won't be committing any more crimes.

Neoma said...

I watch a lot of British Mysteries, all written about the times in England when you did the crime, you hung. maybe that is what I find so appealing about those stories. Anyway, I didn't know it had been done away with....but I should have known, the bleeding hearts of the world have completely ruined penal justice. I guess because they want to make sure when they commit murder, they won't get hung. haha Anyway it is the same here, they worry more about the murderers rights than they do the person he murdered.

MarmiteToasty said...

Shoving me X *spit* to the front of the hanging queue lol

x

Akelamalu said...

That's a good idea Gleds - give them the choice die or spend the rest of your life locked up. Paedo = no choice they just hang.

I agree Trav!

That's what's wrong with the justice system Nea the do gooders are more concerned with the criminal rather than the victim.


LOL You don't like him do you Marmie!