Followers

Thursday 9 August 2007

York.....

Well, as you know, we had a day out in York on Tuesday, our friends came along too. We caught the 9.30 a.m. train from our local station but had to change at Leeds. As we waited for the train the heavens opened - great we're going to get pissed wet through, was the collective thought! Not so, the weather was glorious - a little breezy but bright sunshine and warm out of the breeze!


The first place of interest when you arrive at York is the NRM (National Railway Museum). It's a huge place and has many interesting exhibits - if you're interested in Trains etc., which MWM and our friend T are. There is no entrance fee - which is unusual because usually wherever you go in England you are fleeced charged to go in!

The NRM houses various engines - some very famous, two of the most famous are the first ever engine - Stevenson's Rocket and the fastest engine Mallard. You can also see the Royal Trains- I managed to take a few photographs of the inside - very luxourious if a little cramped - the beds were tiny, but then so was Queen Victoria.


The Flying Scotsman is being renovated at the NRM, I managed to get a photograph but it has been completely taken apart so all you can see are the innards!

The entrance to The Yorkshire Wheel can also be found at the NRM. Big Wheels seem to be the 'in-thing' in large cities at the moment. MWM wanted to go on the wheel as I'd denied him the chance in Manchester last week, but the queues were huge and we didn't have a lot of time - he only sulked for short time!

By the time we had finished wandering round the NRM is was lunchtime so we walked into York proper and found a lovely little pub where we had lunch and a few drink. After lunch we walked further into the centre of York to the Minster , one of the most beautiful Cathedrals in the world, which dates back to the year 627.......


'The first Minster was built for the baptism of the Anglo Saxon King, Edwin of Northumbria. Edwin was christened in a small wooden church that had been built for the occasion, this event occurred on Easter Sunday in the year 627. Almost immediately Edwin ordered that this small wooden church should be rebuilt in stone. Edwin was killed in battle in 633 and the task of completing the stone Minster fell to Oswald'.


There are a miriad of narrow streets in York, full of 'big name' shops, 'ye olde tea shoppes' and speciality shops selling anything from charms to fudge! The most common mode of transport in York is bicycle, there were hundreds of them all parked up all over the city centre - it reminded me of Amsterdam!

The River Ouse runs through York and can get quite busy with river cruises. Had there been more time we would have like to have sailed down the river but I did get a photograph! There are many other attractions in York like - Jorvik Viking Centre, York Dungeon, Castle Museum, Clifford's Tower and the Yorkshire Museum, so really you need to spend about a week or more in York to see all it has to offer, if you click on the links though you can take a quick tour.

We had to get the 4.30 p.m. train back as that was the last train to stop at our local station, which meant we were back home by 6.45ish. We had a great day out and will, no doubt, be going again in the future to visit the other attractions that we've not had time to see yet.

I'll leave you with a little slide show of what we saw - my apologies for some of the photos, they're not as clear as they could have been, but if you click on 'view all images' you can see them better.





30 comments:

Lo Kelween said...

those vehicles look real antic but posh!

oh the York Minster is so grand!

Lo Kelween said...

and thx for the photo. the tiara looks great on you! :)

Flowerpot said...

amazing pics, Akelamalu!

Gledwood said...

the nrm... is that the place they had to take the doors off to fit the japanese bullet train in ..?
i thought it was like the eurostar .. it is NOT! it is about twice as tall... an enormous monster of a train ..! glad u had an entertaining day ...

hey did i invite u to my animal crackersx blog? i can't remember who's been whatever have a look if you like it is full of youtube clips of furry animals ...

at

http://gledwoodpets.blogspot.com

buffalodick said...

Looked like a neat day out and about...

Akelamalu said...

Oh yes posh antiques Elween and I'm glad you liked the tiara boom de ay. :)

Akelamalu said...

Thanks flowerpot. x

Akelamalu said...

That's right Gleds, it's still there. Thanks for the invite too.

Akelamalu said...

We had a great day thanks buffalodickdy.

Smalltown RN said...

that sounds like you had a grand time...and the slide show is great...those are some trains....

Akelamalu said...

Me and K only went along for the shops and the beer smalltown rn if truth be known!

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

looks like a wonderful day!

smiles, bee

Akelamalu said...

It was fun Bee. :)

RUTH said...

Glad you managed to miss the rain. Unfortunately the slideshow isn't loading for me...seems to be stuck on 49%..will pop back later to see the sights...probably my pc on go slow again :o(

the rotten correspondent said...

What a fun trip. You've had a really eventful summer, haven't you?

CS said...

Sounds (And looks) like a good trip and I'm glad the weather cooperated for you.

Linda said...

Between you and Claire I am so wanting to go visit England! Actually, I've always wanted to as I love the history and my Mom's mother came over from Blackpool when she was quite young so I'm sure that there are relatives there somewhere.

Maybe someday if I'm lucky ...

Barb said...

My hubby watched the slide show with me because he is a huge train enthusiast!

Those streets look very narrow. Is that why there are all those bicycles?

I have surprise news on my blog!

RUTH said...

Slideshow loaded fine this time. Seeing these trains brought back memories of a time when I helped courier some Americans on a Saga Holiday; one of the places we went was to Crewe and we had to drag some of the guys away as they loved the trains so much.
Rx

Lucy Dee said...

Nice blog! This is my first time here. I lived in the UK (more specifically London) in 2004. It's been so long. I have to get back! Maybe when I do a European tour. (I'm a standup comedienne in NYC.)

I'll have to stop by again! You have a lot goin' on here!

Dan said...

Great slide show! You got to see a lot! I would love that train museum. I had RR tracks run behind my house my entire childhood and adolescence. And I do now in adulthood. I love trains.

katie eggeman said...

Well another adventure I get to take with you. What a nice visit, let's go back soon! The slide show is great!

Akelamalu said...

Yes we have rotten correspondent and we have more planned! I'm making up for all the years I haven't been able to do much because of my knee. :)

Akelamalu said...

Oh yes, good weather makes all the difference cs :)

Akelamalu said...

Linda MWM's grandmother came from Blackpool too - you never know we could be related! :)

Akelamalu said...

You're hubby would love it over here skittles there's steam trains all over the place!

Yes the streets in York are very narrow but most of them are pedestrianised. I think the bicycles are to stop cars coming into the city centre.

Akelamalu said...

Ruth MWM has been a train enthusiast all his life - a proper anorak! He spent his youth trainspotting mostly at Crewe.

Akelamalu said...

Hi Lucy and welcome to my blog. It sounds like you enjoyed your time in London, I hope you get back here someday.

Akelamalu said...

You would love it where we live Dan Steam trains right on the doorstep!

Akelamalu said...

I'm glad you're enjoying out outings Bankerchick - keep tuned there's more to come!