Followers

Saturday 29 March 2008

Saturday Wordzzle #6



The idea is every week Raven (View From A Raven's Nest) gives you between 8 and 10 words/phrases and you have to create a small but coherent paragraph using every one of them and the same with the mini challenge. You can do either or both it's up to you, and you can post them on your blog or email them to Raven.



The words/phrases for this week's week's ten-word challenge are: arbitration, music, salamanders, frankinsence, trojan horse, balderdash, bottomless pit, fantastic, pugnacious, Trivial Pursuit



The ironing basket was like a bottomless pit and Annie had had enough, so she got out the Trivial Pursuit and announced “Let’s play a board game!” Ignoring the collective groan she set out the game on the dining room table. Arthur put some music on the sound system hoping it might calm the kids down, he knew how pugnacious they could become at times like this. Alice’s first question was ‘name one of the gifts the three Kings brought to Jesus’ – quick as a flash she answered “Frankinsence”. “Fantastic” shouted the kids, you’re so clever Mum. Then came Arthur’s turn. “What’s the natural habitat of Salamanders? “Easy-peasy” said Arthur “the desert”. “Wrong, it’s swamp” replied Alice. “Balderdash” said Arthur. “Look if you’re going to argue we’ll go for arbitration, kids what does it say here?” Alice asked, handing them the card. “I don’t want to play anymore, there’s a good film on the telly about the Trojan horse that I want to watch” he snapped as he disappeared into the lounge. “Oh never mind him” said Alice to the kids “he just can’t accept that he’s ever wrong!”


And for the mini challenge: maniac, video store, telephone pole, flute player, windy day


As Joe walked away from the video store he was thinking about the movie he’d just returned. He’d enjoyed this one about a maniac who terrorized a neighbourhood by climbing up the telephone pole outside his victim’s bedroom window to gain access, then murdered them in their beds. By day he was a normal fellow who was a flute player in an orchestra but he turned into a monster at night. Strangely though, this only happened when it was a windy day. When he was eventually caught the newspaper headlines read “Wind sends flautist up the pole!”


28 comments:

Unknown said...

Great job...very creative. They're much fun, eh?!

maryt/theteach said...

Akelamalu, very clever wordzzles! I like them very much! I also like the music you have playing! Thank you! Come visit my very first Wordzzles at Answers to the Questions :)

Raven said...

Love em.... It really is amazing how the words bring such different stories from each person.

I agree with the teach about your music.

Jay said...

Those were very clever. I especially liked the second one. You could make a whole story or movie out of that idea of a killer flautist.

Linda Murphy said...

Hi there! Love your Wordzzles and the first one was really clever to use those seemingly random words in a game format! Loved that!

Flute player as a monster killer...my flute player pals will get a kick out of that! Very concise little Wordzzle!

Thanks for dropping by my blog too!

Pam said...

my goodness....great 55's and now great wordzzles. my brain would hurt trying to come up with something LOL

Akelamalu said...

They're great fun Kim, glad you liked them. :)

Thanks Teach, glad you like the music too. :)

I'm really glad I found wordzzles Raven, it's great fun.

'Killer Flautist' - the movie? There's an idea Jay LOL

Don't tell your flute playing friends where you read it will you snoopmorph, I don't want hate mail! ((wink))

I think you'd do really well at both 55s and wordzzles Ciara, go on give it a whirl.

Jennifer S said...

Wow, you made that sound easy. My mind was a an empty bubble of "duh," when I looked at that list. Very well done!

Thanks for stopping by and for your comment--I'm glad to find your site, and I look forward to reading more.

Dianne said...

great stories!

I agree with Jay - the second one would make a very entertaining horror movie.

and add me to the list of those who love your music.

cathy said...

I've just read a week's worth of posts here and they were all great.
I clean when I'm angry but I hadn't thought of using his toothbrush, thanks for the tip.
BTW great tunes:)

The Pirate said...

Love both stories:) I've known a few killer flute players but a flute playing killer? Wonderful!

Gledwood said...

Can I ask your advice about my place? I'm getting a new room in the same house. Lots of clutter. Do you agree I should just leave what I don't want even if it's half my clothes etc. and just move "lite" into the new room?... Please RSVP ASAP I'm desperate for advice! Many thanxx
G

Jeff B said...

Bravo! You are very clever.

storyteller said...

Excellent as always … I love the final line in your ‘mini’ and will be chuckling for a while as I move on, though the 'toothbrush' still makes me giggle when I think of it.
Hugs and blessings,

Travis Cody said...

I may have to give this a go once my Saturday sports are finished.

Good job!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Akela. Take care. I hope you and yours are all doing well!

Linda said...

You are so clever! You've almost got me inspired to give this a go myself but I'm sure I'd pale in comparison!

Richard said...

You must be a Brit to be able to spell flaustist. It just doesn't come up much over here. Loved the last line in the second story.

Thanks for coming by my site and commenting. I'm thinking we have a lot in common in spite of the Atlantic pond in between.

We met a couple from Great Britain years ago that explained to my wife and me that folks from the US and Great Britain were similar people separated by a common language.

Rich

Unknown said...

Well done! Yucky, but well sone.

Akelamalu said...

Why thank you Jennifer, but I've read what you write and you wouldn't find this difficult whatsoever! :)

Thanks Dianne, my choice of music this time seems to have pleased a lot of people. :)

Cathy you must have really been at a loose end to read a week's worth of my drivel ;) Glad you enjoyed it anyway. x

LOL that was funny Pirate, thanks for popping in. :)

OK Gleds I'll be right over.

Aw thankyou Jeff you're too kind. x

You know what Storyteller, I like that line too! Glad you enjoyed it.

I hope you do join in Trav I can't wait to see what you come up with. You know I don't like sports don't you? ;)

Nice to see you back Josh x

Linda you would be soooo good at these, I just know it!

Thanks for stopping by Richard and yes I too believe we have a lot in common we're just separated by a lot of water! :)

Nick yukky????? Did you mean to comment on the 55? Anyway glad you enjoyed whatever. :)

Thanks Skittles x

bindhiya said...

Well done Akelamalu!
You are very creative!

Casdok said...

Excellent!! :)

CG said...

Cracking stories!!

Mimi Lenox said...

. "By day he was a normal fellow who was a flute player in an orchestra but he turned into a monster at night."

You have quite an imagination, Missy.He he he....

Karen said...

Clever story. I enjoyed it.

Akelamalu said...

Aw thanks Bindix

You're very kind Casdok :)

Cheers CG x

That's what MWM says too Mimi! ;)

I'm pleased you enjoyed it Karen and thanks for dropping by. :)

Jo Beaufoix said...

Hee hee, those are brilliant. sepecially love the closing line on the second one. :D

Akelamalu said...

Thanks Jo, glad you liked them .:)