Followers

Saturday 4 July 2009

Saturday Wordzzle # 70



The idea is, every week Raven (Views From Raven's Nest) gives you between 8 and 10 words/phrases and you have to create a small but coherent paragraph using every one of them and the same with the mini challenge. You can do either, both or a megawordzzle using all the words, or even all three, it's up to you, you can post them on your blog or email them to Raven. If you join in go to Raven's and put your name on the Mr. Linky so other participants can come visit you.



No doodles this week, no time.



For the mini challenge: music to my ears, plot, powerful, braggart, super model


Jim was busy digging his plot on the allotment when he heard the chimes of the ice-cream seller. “That’s music to my ears” he said to himself “I need something to cool me down”.
Strolling over to the van he smiled at Patty, the young woman serving the ice-cream who he knew from the amateur operatics society. He asked for an ice-cream then proceeded to tell her what a great voice she had but that she was so pretty she could be a supermodel.

Patty laughed “Yeah, right” she said.

”Honestly, I know an agent” he told her “I have connections you know, I’m quite powerful. I’ll get you an introduction” he promised.

Patty called him a braggart, in the nicest possible way, but was thrilled and shocked when he phoned her a few days later and gave her the details of an appointment to see an agent in London.



Megawordzzle:
Ten Word Challenge is: Florida, spit, child bride, operatic, busy, holding pattern, sunflowers, ginger jars, office, superintendent / For the mini challenge: music to my ears, plot, powerful, braggart, super model


Patty Ives lost the plot in the agent’s office, when she was subjected to the superintendent’s enforced holding pattern of making everyone queue to see the man himself because he was so busy. Patty realised losing her temper didn’t get her into see the agent any quicker but it sure made her feel better. She was only nineteen and could take care of herself, she’d had to.

Whilst she was waiting she filled in some details on her portfolio, like how she had started off in an amateur operatic group but had now diversified and was hoping to become a successful supermodel. She listed her hobby of growing sunflowers, how she collected ginger jars and her ambition to see Florida. Of course all this was immaterial unless she fulfilled her dream and became famous, because no-one would be interested otherwise.

Eventually it was her turn to see the agent. She rapped on the door and swept through it as he shouted “Enter”. Introducing herself Patty handed over her portfolio, the agent looked her up and down and then opened her file. Patty was thinking that was a good sign because the other girls had said he didn’t even look at theirs. After studying her photos he told Patty he was sure he could find her some work.

“That’s music to my ears” she said.

The next twelve months were a whirlwind for Patty, true to his word her agent worked hard and got her plenty of modelling jobs, then one day he called her and said he needed to see her.

Patty sat in his office smiling at him across his desk.

“You wanted to see me?” she asked.

By the time he told her what he’d called her in for she was furious. She called him a braggart before she spit in his eye and told him to go to hell

He’d found out she had been a child bride and had a son, who she had left with her parents. He threatened to expose her past to the media, saying “I’m a very powerful man my dear, you scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours!”

She was famous now and she doubted whether anyone would care about her past, even if they did it didn’t alter the fact that she was good at what she did, look at Kate Moss, she’d made more money since the press published her drug antics. She was willing to take the chance.



Ten Word Challenge is: Florida, spit, child bride, operatic, busy, holding pattern, sunflowers, ginger jars, office, superintendent


Patty Ives walked out of the agent’s office and sat in her car, the first thing she had to do was find another agent and tell them about her past.

She closed her eyes and remembered sitting outside the school superintendent’s office when she was just sixteen, staring out of the window admiring the sunflowers and the ginger jars on display in the hallway. Both were so pretty she vowed she would grow sunflowers and collect ginger jars when she was famous. The hallway was very busy as there were other students waiting, they created a holding pattern as they moved up a chair as each one was called into the office. Finally it was her turn and she sat facing the superintendent.

“ I wanted to speak to you to ask if you would like to change your mind about dropping out of school my dear” said the superintendent. “I know you’re a child bride and are pregnant but it doesn’t have to be the end of your schooling. You have a fantastic voice and could make a career out of music, with the right training you could go on to be an operatic star” she told Patty.

“I want to be a good wife and mother” Patty told her “so there’s no time for school”.    The superintendent wished her well and said if she changed her mind to come see her.

Her parents didn’t like Billy, her husband, so living with them was difficult to say the least, but she thought everything would be OK once the baby arrived. The baby turned out to be the ‘spit’ of his father and Billy was the doting dad for a couple of months, well until he met Tina and disappeared. Patty’s Mum offered to look after the baby whilst Patty went to work and she managed to get a job selling ice-cream from a van. That was when she met Jim, who had given her the introduction to the weasel of an agent. She wouldn’t hold that against Jim, he’d done her a huge favour at the time. Now here she was again, looking for an agent, but now she was a successful model not a quiet country girl who wouldn’t say boo to a goose, a girl who had fulfilled her dream of growing sunflowers, collecting ginger jars and had visited Florida several times. Yes, she decided, she would carry on regardless.

21 comments:

lettuce said...

nice play akelamalu! i love how it all comes together again and turns around in the last version

Anonymous said...

You are such a clever writer. I enjoyed this a great deal. Excellent work my friend. I've tagged you on my blog :) Aloha

Reston Friends! said...

I like Patty's determination. Good for her ... and for you!

Shrinky said...

Good old Patty, smile!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Brava! Linking them all together made for a fantastic read. More! More!

I finally did my 6 Unimportant Things That Make Me Happy Meme (only took me a month and a bit.) Thanks for the tag.

Daryl said...

Clever as always .. kept me wondering where it was headed... nicely wrapped up in a tidy ending!

Raven said...

Yippee! I love Patty's story! Well done as always.

Akelamalu said...

Glad you enjoyed it Lettie :)

You're very kind Thom, thankyou m'dear. x

Patty is a survivor Reston :)

Good old Patty indeed Shrinky :)

I thought I'd do something different this week by linking all three, glad you enjoyed them Julia. Thanks for doing the tag hon. x

Thanks Daryl I'm happy you enjoyed them.

Cheers Raven :)

Dr.John said...

Three great stories and yet one even greater story. You always surprise.

Travis Cody said...

I like how you put all three challenges together in this one story this week. Well done!

HeatherK said...

Mini Challenge. I Thought JIM Braggart was Digging his own Grave. What a great story. Patty is a great Character.

Cloudia said...

Such a clever Akemalu!
Aloha my dear


Comfort Spiral

Richard said...

I greatly enjoyed this week's trio of stories. Great stuff.

Nessa said...

Good for Patty to work hard to make her dreams come true.

Salute said...

Great stories. I must say you have way with words.

Finding Pam said...

I loved how you continued the theme through out all three stories. What a great ending. Patty has lived a lot of life in those short years.

Akelamalu said...

Why thankyou Dr. John :)

I'm pleased you enjoyed it Trav :)

Patty is indeed a character Heather

Thankyou Cloudia m'dear. x

I'm glad you enjoyed them Rich :)

Hard work is second nature to Patty I think Nessa :)

Oh thankyou Salute, how kind of you. :)

Oh yes Patty has earned her breaks Pam :)

CJ said...

I like how you wrote a continuing story rather than 3 separate ones. Goof job.

Sorry I am so late reading these this week. Busy weekend.

Don't forget my GIVEAWAY (easy scavenger hunt.) Anyone can join in here:
http://proartz.blogspot.com/2009/06/giveaway-1-scavenger-hunt.html

Akelamalu said...

Better late than never CJ, glad you enjoyed it. :)

david mcmahon said...

You always pull all the threads together!

Stephen said...

I enjoyed reading your three part story. It was very nice and had a good use of the words. I'm glad that Patty was able to fullfill several of her dreams, and is optimistic about the future.

Stephen from Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
http://stephen-has-spoken.blogspot.com/