Followers

Sunday 11 March 2007

That will be me.................



I came across this poem and thought "That will be me", I can just see myself. In fact I do some of these things already, but I'm not telling you which!

Warning (Jenny Joseph, 1932)

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple

With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.

And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves

And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.

I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired

And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells

And run my stick along the public railings

And make up for the sobriety of my youth.

I shall go out in my slippers in the rain

And pick the flowers in other people's gardens

And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat

And eat three pounds of sausages at a go

Or only bread and pickle for a week

And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry

And pay our rent and not swear in the street

And set a good example for the children.

We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?

So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised

When suddently I am old, and start to wear purple.

My Knee

Sunday 11th March

The nurse has been to take out the 28 staples in my knee - ouch that made my eyes water! It's not a pretty sight but it has healed well, just needs cleaning up and pampering now. I have some Aloe Vera and Vitamin E cream to pamper it with.

12 comments:

TJ said...

You are so welcome at my blog...I love yours...the music that greeted me was soo soothing!!
I like to answer comments by email...if you wish just email me at
kentucky_gal45@yahoo.com and I'll be able to do that for you too...btw...I could use some of that reiki...my right hand is hurting and feels cold to me...I think I've damaged it somehow but I'm not sure how...it does not hurt to type..but to grip a pensil or any object hurts to high heavens...sigh!!
So glad to meet ya!!
:-D

Akelamalu said...

Hi Tammy thanks for dropping by.

I will send you some Reiki for your hand, I hope it helps.

Queenie said...

28, babe you are so brave, hope mwm had a large brandy on stand-by....
Come on you do all of them....

Akelamalu said...

Yes I was brave, no brandy (well not yet!).

I do not do all of them - yet! :)

Annelisa said...

Love it! I want to be like that too! Especially the gobbling samples in the shops - I always walk past those plates, and wonder 'should I, shouldn't I?' and carry on walking, too embarrassed to stop. I look forward to the day I'm no longer worried if people think I'm greedy, looking for freebies, and just take them! :-)

Though, come to think of it, recently I didn't resist some cheeses.... uh oh... it's happening. It's the red hat next... oh hang on, will it go with my green wig, I wonder?

Glad the knee's healing up alright. Made my eyes water just thinking about those staples, let alone have them out! You take care of yourself (and I'm imagining you doing some cheerleading with high-kicks, so the positive vibes should be coming your way! :-D )

Neoma said...

I just made my way over, and found all kinds of things that I would like to read, I am helping Nick with his homework right now, but I will be back......I promise......love the hat.....

IndigoGirl said...

Thanx for dropping by my blog, and leading me to yours.
You remind me so much of my Mom!
I love the poem but more so .. that attitude! No where is it written that the older you get, the more prude you should be! I always try and encourage my mom, to do what is in her heart, be inpulsive and do the things she so long couldn't do because she had to raise kids, and be profesionally successful. Today we have the most fun together, espesially in the fitting rooms of department stores!!!!
I don't even want to know what 28 staples feels like! I had 8 stitches in my toe, and that was the worst for me! Good luck with that, I'll be thinking of you! Hope you feel better soon!

Akelamalu said...

annelisa - thanks for taking the time out to visit hon. I'm afraid eating the samples is ONE of the things I do already! You think I'll be capable of cheerleading? OK I'll give it a go! Thanks for the positive vibes.

Nea - Welcome to my place, glad you have found some stuff to entice you back.

Indigogirl - Thanks for visiting me. I take it as a compliment that I remind you of your mum - you obviously love her very much. It's fantastic that you and she have so much fun together.

See you all later at yours.:)

Neoma said...

I feel much this way.....in fact I think these thoughts often, and I am not so far away from that purple hat and red dress, or orange dress, no red, I am definitely a red dress person.

Actually I have turned into a flannel person......haha

Unknown said...

Akelamalu,
Thank you for your recent vsit to my site. I welcome you to return to it as often as spirit pushes you towards it. I would like to read your words on a regular basis if you do not mind. I send to you Reiki and happiness.

Akelamalu said...

Nea welcome back, thankyou for taking the time. I think there is a red hat/dress in us all deep down somewhere!

Dave - welcome to my blog, you are welcome anytime. Thank you for the Reiki - I am in need of it right now, I return it to you my friend. Although I give Reiki to myself it always seems stronger when given by someone else, because of the spirit in which it is given methinks.

miwise said...

I love that poem! I gave it to my Mom several years ago and whenever she does something that is just very her, it's a family joke to recite the first line.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. So gald to find yours.