Followers

Wednesday 6 July 2011

Dixieland Part 5.......

Wednesday morning found us aboard the coach for the journey across the state of Mississippi to Memphis.



Our journey took us through Jackson, the Capital City of Mississippi, which was named after President Andrew Jackson.  In the 1960's Jackson was a hot bed of activity during the Civil Rights Movement.    We stopped for lunch, calling in a cute little drug store




 to pick up sandwiches and a milk shake to eat outside in the sunshine,


before resuming our journey towards Memphis, Tennessee, for a three night stay at Days Inn on Elvis Presley Blvd, right opposite Graceland itself!


This was our room


The television had three channels devoted to Elvis films which were shown 24 hours a day!   The hotel boasted a guitar shaped swimming pool too.


and Reception was full of Elvis memorabilia.


As we were approaching the hotel Alice, our tour director, told us places to eat in the area and we were intrigued to hear that a nearby restaurant, Marlowe's,



would send a pink cadillac to collect and return diners, all you had to do was tell hotel reception what time you wanted to be picked up.    Well of course we couldn't miss an opportunity like that could we?


Another couple from our tour shared the caddy with us and we had a lovely evening in their company enjoying great food



in interesting surroundings, listening to a guy, Scott McDonald, singing Elvis songs whilst we ate, you can listen to him here,


before being driven back to the hotel in the Pink Cadillac!   

It had been a long day, we had travelled 360 miles, and we were tired, so we retired to our room and as we were in Elvisland we just had to watch one of his films on TV before we fell asleep and dreamt of visiting his birthplace, Tupelo, the following day.

I hope you'll join me for that little adventure and much more in Dixieland Part 6, coming soon.

Read Dixieland Part One here.
Read Dixieland Part Two here.
Read Dixieland Part Three here.
Read Dixieland Part Four here.

38 comments:

Commander Zaius said...

Awesome! Never been to Graceland but I am a big Elvis fan.

Valerie said...

Lots to see and remember. There's so much going on about Elvis; I'm sure if I was there I'd expect to see him alive and well.

Akelamalu said...

If you're a big Elvis fan Beach do remember to tune in for Dixieland Part 6!

It's almost like he is alive when you're there Valerie!

Anonymous said...

I want that swimming pool :)

Akelamalu said...

Fabulous isn't it SD&BS?

Finding Pam said...

I loved that sign that said "Before Elvis there was nothing".

I'm enjoying your tour of the South.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

gosh i loved elvis, i mean loved him!!! i suppose people will be making money off him all their lives, huh?

looks like a good time!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoox

Daryl said...

In Memphis on business we stopped at Graceland on the way to the airport .. it was so hot we opted to hit the gift shop and then back into the car and its cooling AC .. glad you got the chance to do more than visit the gift shop

Akelamalu said...

I loved the sign too Pam, especially as it was attributed to John Lennon my favourite artist in the whole world!

Oh there's mountains of money being made in Elvis' name Bee - I imagine Lisa Marie Presley is one of the richest women in the world!

Aw shame you didn't get to see more than the gift shop at Graceland Daryl. Tune in to Dixieland Part 6 and see what you missed.

MorningAJ said...

Oh I really fancy the pink caddy trip. I'm so jealous!

Ron said...

WOW WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Great photos!!!!

I'm lovin' that cute little drug store cafe. It reminded me of the old-fashioned Woolworth's coffee shops that were around when I was a kid.

And that guitar shaped pool is AWESOME. As well is that pink caddy!!!

Lovely photograph of you and MWM.

Thanks for sharing, m'dear. And yes, I look forward to part 6!

X

Anonymous said...

Amazingly over the top but I'd love to visit one day: guitar-shaped pools, pink caddy to take you to the restaurant etc - what's not to like!

A Lady's Life said...

What a great way to remmeber Elvis. He was a really nice man. Too bad .

Around My Kitchen Table said...

I would love to see Graceland - it sounds brilliant in a totally-tacky way (or am I being unkind?!). Great reports from across the pond.

Grandma's Goulash said...

Enjoyed your Mississippi pics. I have lived in Memphis for two years now and still haven't been to Graceland.

Thanks for coming to my blog and giving me a reminder to post the SY photo. I had totally forgotten it. Oops!

cheshire wife said...

What girl could resist a pink cadillac?

Maude Lynn said...

I can't get over that swimming pool! Wow!

Cloudia said...

What a fun post; and you both look so nice!


Aloha from Waikiki

Comfort Spiral

><}}(°>


> < } } ( ° >

< ° ) } } > <

Shrinky said...

OMG, I would SO love to have been there! Three 24hr Elvis channels? Crikey. That pool is awesome - and as for the pink caddy, how cute is that?

Akelamalu said...

VERY OTT Dumdad but totally fabulous! LOL

The hotel was great but Graceland was better Lady's Life, wait until you see that in the next instalment!

Tune in for the next leg of the journey to actually see inside Graceland AMKT!

You live in Memphis Grandma - we could have met up!

Not many Cheshire Wife! LOL

I know, it was fabulous Mama Zen :)

Aw thanks Cloudia x

Akelamalu said...

You would have L.O.V.E.D. it all Shrinky. Wait until you see my next post inside Graceland!

CrystalChick said...

The drug store photo reminded me of all the diners we still have in NJ.
The pink cadillac is so cool. What a neat way to be taken back to your hotel.

Akelamalu said...

A real drug store was something I really wanted to see on our trip Crystal Chick. We got two trips in the cadillac - there and back!

Maggie May said...

Very impressive swimming pool!
Thanks for the tour!
Maggie X

Nuts in May

tony said...

I Would Love To Live On Elvis Presley Boulevard!
By Coincidence, Someone(It was Bob Actually,From Bacup) Told Me This Week That If You Telephone To Book An Elvis-Related Show They Make It A Real Nightmare .He Said it's all done by an automated telephone system: You Have To Press 1 For The Money......2 For The Show!!

Ash :) said...

well i must say i am completely jealous. looks like SO much fun :)

Gledwood said...

That diner looks so retro, like something out of the movie Grease!

Gledwood said...

ps I got a semi-result on Buta the bitch worker... enough that I'm not in a permanent bad mood any more... (or popping Valiums)

Julia Phillips Smith said...

OMG - I LOVE your Elvis room. And the 24 hour Elvis movie channels. And the guitar pool. And that awesome diner in the drug store.

You know how big of an Elvis fan I am (remember my January-is-Elvis-month?) Can't wait to virtually go to Graceland with you!

Akelamalu said...

Yes it was an impressive and fun pool Maggie. Glad you enjoyed this bit of the tour.

LOL love the joke Tony!

It was all good fun Ash :)

Yes it was just what I expected the drug store diner to look like Gleds - I loved it!

Oh Julia you would absolutely love everything about the Memphis part of the tour, wait until you see the rest of it.

ninotaziz said...

I don't think I will ever have the opportunity to experience this first hand ... So it is great that you have shared this Akemalu!

Akelamalu said...

Glad you enjoyed it ninotaziz :)

secret agent woman said...

Even though I've lived in both Tennessee and Mississippi, I've never been to Memphis. Glad you had a good trip.

Travis Cody said...

Now that sounds like a very fun day!

Akelamalu said...

You've missed a treat then SAW :)

It certainly was Trav :)

katie eggeman said...

We plan to do this part of your trip in October. What fun!

Mimi Lenox said...

You rode in a pink Cadillac? Awesome!
I must say that pic of you standing beside the Elvis statue is quite fetching. I'm sure he was enchanted and singing straight to you.
Just sayin'.

Akelamalu said...

Oh you must blog about it Bankerchick.

I pretended he was singing to me Mimi, thanks. x