Over the past few months my Dad’s hip has become increasingly painful and stiff so, about five months ago, his doctor referred him to an Orthopaedic Surgeon at his local hospital – the hospital where I had my knee replacement operation as it happens. The surgeon agreed that he needed a hip replacement and said he would see him again in three months.
Since then his hip has gone worse. You may remember he was taken into hospital as an emergency recently because of his blood sugar levels being erratic, and a lovely nurse on A&E managed to get Dad into an orthopaedic clinic whilst he was there, because he was in so much pain – a true angel she was!
About four weeks ago Dad received a letter asking him to go to see the anaesthetist to see if he would be prepared for the operation to go ahead. The letter also said the procedure would be carried out approximately four weeks afterwards. After explaining the risks to Dad and asking him to sign a disclaimer he said he would do it and agreed that the op would take place in about four weeks time. Last week Dad kept a long standing appointment with the surgeon, who told him he was on the waiting list and it would be about 3 – 5 months! Dad was devastated and really ‘went to town’ about how he’d already waited 4 months and he’d seen the anaesthetist etc., etc. The surgeon said he would put him on the cancellation list if he would be prepared to come into hospital at a days notice. Of course Dad agreed but was really upset at the thought he might have to still wait 5 months for his operation.
On Tuesday, this week, Dad telephoned the surgeon’s secretary to ask if there had been any cancellations and she told him he had only just gone on the waiting list! You can imagine how upset Dad was, he’s absolutely desperate and in so much pain, I have never, ever, seen my Dad depressed like that and it really upset me.
However, yesterday a miracle happened. He received a letter from the hospital asking him to go for his pre-op assessment on the 12th November and his operation will be carried out within four weeks of that date! He’s over the moon as he can see the light at the end of the tunnel now. There’s just one problem – he has an infection on his calf and is on his third lot of antibiotics trying to clear it up. Thankfully it isn’t a blood clot, as the doctors originally thought, but we know there’s no way his operation will go ahead until the infection has cleared up. We are desperately hoping the infection will clear up before he goes for his pre-op assessment then hopefully, within a few weeks, there will be another bionic member of our family.
Keep your fingers crossed.