Followers

Wednesday 24 October 2012

Wonders Of The Golden West Part 8....

Leaving Vegas behind we hit the road through the Mojave Desert to Fresno, passing Baker, the exit to Death Valley, the hottest place in the world.  Our first stop was Calico Ghost Town.


 Between 1881 and 1896, Calico, (named after the varicoloured surrounding mountains) was a booming silver mining town of more than 1,200 people with mines producing more than $13 million in ore.   In 1895 the price of silver dropped, the mines stopped producing and Calico became a ghost town.    Calico was restored in 1954.


Calico is a really interesting historical site with recreated authentic looking buildings.

Inside the General Store...

We obeyed the sign outside the Sheriff's Office...No Shootin', No cussin in Town.

 The Undertakers....



  The school/church..



The Hotel, not exactly 5*
The Mining Company....



Calico Rail Road....




 Public Baths?



Do I really need a saddle?




 They sure are beautiful...
 MWM fancies himself as a safe cracker...




The Fire Hall...





After lunch in Calico we set off again through the Mojave Desert on Highway 58.  See the Joshua Tree?

The Mohave Desert's boundaries are generally defined by the presence of Joshua Tree (Yucca brevifolia).   It actually rained a little whilst we were driving through the desert!

We passed through Hinkley,  commonly associated with Pacific Gas and Electric since it was the location of a compressor station for PG&E's natural gas transmission pipelines, which severely contaminated the groundwater in the town resulting in the legal case which was the subject of the film Erin Brockovich.

 We also passed (though not close enough to get photos) Edwards Air Force Base, named in memory of U.S. Air Force test pilot Glen Edwards, who died along with the crew of five while testing the YB-49 Flying Wing.     It is also the place where Chuck Yeager was the first pilot to break the sound barrier on October 14, 1947, flying the experimental Bell X-1 at Mach 1 at an altitude of 45,000 ft.  The Space Shuttle also landed at Edwards Air Force Base when it couldn't land at Cape Canaveral.

We continued our journey arriving at our hotel, Best Western Village Inn, Fresno with just enough time to freshen up and nip in Denny's next door to sample their delicious pot roast, before retiring for the night.   Tomorrow we had Yosemite National Park to look forward to, I hope you'll join me for that in Wonders Of The Golden West Part 9.

22 comments:

Valerie said...

No shootin, no cussin... oh my, such restrictions. Great pictures, Pearl, undertakers noted... are those the plots?

Lea said...

My husband and I love western settings. Thank you for taking me with you on your journeys. :)

Flowerpot said...

You do have amazing holidays Ak!

MorningAJ said...

It's amazing when you visit places that you've heard the name of through news or movies, isn't it? Edwrads Airforce base, Fresno, Yosemite.

Hinkley is good. I imagine it's named from settlers from the original Hinckley, which is just down the road from me.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

oh i forgot to ask you if you got to tombstone arizona? sarge and i used to "belly up" to that bar a ton of years ago.

they have boot hill cemetery there. there is one tombstone that reads:

here lies les moore
shot with a 44
no les
no more

i never forgot that!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoox

Akelamalu said...

Not sure where the plots are Valerie LOL

My pleasure Lea :)

I know, we're very lucky Flowerpot :)

It's great to visit places we've only heard of on the movies or TV AJ, brings it all to life.

We didn't get to Tombstone Bee unfortunately. I love the epitaph on that tombstone!

katie eggeman said...

We tend to ignore the Mojave desert as we pass through it. It is more of a chore for us to drive it. I haven't been to Calico since the girls were little. As usual your pictures make it inviting.

Ron said...

What wonderful photos!!!!!

They really gave a sense of what it was like back then. What a cute little town! Reminds me of watching a movie about the wild, wild west!

I especially loved the photo of the public baths. Full Scrub 10 cents? Wow...that's cheap - HA!

This area reminds me a lot of the Lake Tahoe area of Nevada.

Thanks for sharing, m'dear! As always...I enjoyed!

Looking forward part 9!

X

Adam said...

I love the wild west

Daryl said...

The General Store reminds me of the Vermont Country Store (which has a online shop) .. an amazing place to wander... your photos are wonderful its such fun to see things through your eyes ...

Akelamalu said...

We really enjoyed Calico BankerChick and the Mojave Desert too.

It reminded us of the old wild west towns in the movies Ron.

Me too Adam!

I'm so pleased you enjoyed the photos Daryl. I found that store so interesting.

Commander Zaius said...

In that general area are a lot of UFO sightings. About the same time in 1989 I was at nearby Fort Irwin a lady and her daughters claimed to have been abducted by aliens.

Of course I did not learn about this story until it was broadcast on a national television program about two-years later. While the actually dates of the abduction and my time at Fort Irwin are fuzzy I remember sitting on a ridge one night and seeing some strange lights in the sky one night.

Maude Lynn said...

What a cool place! I love the pictures.

Travis Cody said...

I've never been to Calico, but I've been to Yosemite a lot. Looking forward to your impressions.

Cloudia said...

You are experts on the West by now, pardners!



Warm Aloha from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >

> < } } (°>

Akelamalu said...

I didn't know about the UFO sightings in that part of the US - that's really interesting. Are you sure you weren't abducted by Aliens Beach? ;)

It is a cool place but HOT Mama Zen! LOL Glad you like the pics.

I can tell you now we L.O.V.E.D. Yosemite Trav!

Almost Cloudia LOL

Maggie May said...

The place is in a very remote part of the country.
Loved that store. Would like to be let loose in it.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Akelamalu said...

Indeed it is Maggie and the store was fascinating, though we didn't buy anything.

cheshire wife said...

Calico looks fascinating. A real step back in time.

A Lady's Life said...

Dem were da good ol days :)

Dianne said...

I love the post office, reminds me of just about every western movie

fantastic shots

Secret Agent Woman said...

I remember going to places like this as a kid when we lived in California.