Followers

Saturday 31 January 2009

Saturday Wordzzle # 48




The idea is, every week Raven (View From Raven's Nest) gives you between 8 and 10 words/phrases and you have to create a small but coherent paragraph using every one of them and the same with the mini challenge. You can do either, both or a megawordzzle using all the words, or even all three, it's up to you, you can post them on your blog or email them to Raven. If you join in go to Raven's and put your name on the Mr. Linky so other participants can come visit you.




Here's my efforts complete with my doodles.



This Week's Ten Word Challenge is: snow and ice, vegetarian chilli, pampered kitty, anthropology, do you own a home, coronation, you can change the world, hideous curtains, stammering, premonitions




Alice was preparing her own recipe vegetarian chilli when the phone rang.

“Hello” she said into the receiver.

“Good morning madam, do you own a home?” asked a voice.

“I do, on Coronation Avenue, I’ve just moved in” replied Alice

“Well then, you can change the world by reducing your carbon footprint. All you need to do is install our solar panels” said the voice.

“As our weather here consists of mainly snow and ice, I don’t see how solar panels will be effective” replied Alice.

“Ah but what about Global Warming? There have been premonitions that the climate will change completely in this area! Install the panels now and you’ll be ppppprepared” urged the voice stammering slightly.

“Not today thankyou” said Alice. Then picking up Corky, her pampered kitty, she sat down with a cup of coffee and her book on anthropology, making a mental note to replace the hideous curtains she had inherited with the house.



Mini Challenge: Is there a doctor in the house, blowing in the breeze, shadows, comedian, sleeping disorder



Jim watched the leaves gently blowing in the breeze. He was thinking back to the time when he was a working comedian, something he couldn’t do anymore because of his sleeping disorder. He didn’t really remember what happened except being on stage, seeing shadows and then someone shouting “Is there a doctor in the house?” Apparently he had passed out on stage and the next he knew he was in hospital. The diagnosis put paid to his career.



Megawordzzle




Peggy arranged to meet her friend, Eva, outside the theatre at 7 pm. She was quite prepared to brave the snow and ice to see Mr. Coronation’s show. Apparently he was an anthropology professor who played the bagpipes and various other instruments and told anecdotes. Her colleagues had raved about him so she’d booked tickets.

They had just settled into their seats when Eva took a funny turn, she slithered off her seat onto the floor and turned an unattractive shade of puce.

Is tttthere a ddddoctor in thhhhe house?” Peggy shouted, trying to control her stammering.

Out of the shadows appeared a man who quickly took control and pretty soon Eva was sitting backstage in Mr. Coronation’s dressing room. After talking to Eva, the man suggested she might be suffering from a stomach upset, no doubt caused by the vegetarian chilli she’d had the day before.

Once Eva was feeling better, the man suggested they return to their seats to watch the show and he promised he would give them a lift home in his car afterwards. As the curtain raised, Peggy and Eva were amazed to see their saviour take the stage – he was non other than Mr. Coronation!

“I had a premonition last night” said Eva after the show

“Are you sure it’s not just a sleeping disorder?” suggested Peggy.

“No, I saw Mr. Coronation coming out of a house with hideous curtains, carrying a pampered kitty” said Eva “and don’t you think he has a look of Donald Pleasance?”

“You’re a comedian Eva. You’ve been watching too many James Bond movies you’ve got Blofeld, the head of SPECTRE, and his white Persian cat on the brain” giggled Peggy.

True to his word Mr. Coronation met them in foyer and ushered them to his car.

“I hope you don’t mind but I need to stop off and feed my cat, then I’ll take you straight home” he asked. Eva looked at Peggy with raised eyebrows.

Do you own a home?” asked Eva casually.

“I do indeed” he answered as they arrived at what appeared to be a country road, which turned out to be the drive to a country house. He pointed to the house “There it is” he said

Eva and Peggy stared at the house noticing the hideous curtains blowing in the breeze through an open window. As they entered the house a white Persian cat sauntered into the hallway.

“My dream!” whispered Eva to Peggy.

Jokingly Peggy asked Mr. Coronation “Have you ever heard of SPECTRE, do you think you can change the world?”

“Of course I have heard of SPECTRE, my real name is Blofeld!” he replied.

28 comments:

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

Hahaha... I really enjoyed reading your Wordzzle. It's awesome how each person that writes to these word prompts writes so entirely different. I did my first one today.

bettygram said...

Are they into trouble? Enjoyed the story.

Dr.John said...

Great story. No way I was ready for the ending.

katie eggeman said...

Not being a Bond fan, I had to look up who Blofeld was so I didn't get the references in the second story right away.

Melli said...

LOL! I was sO NOT ready for that! You amaze me!

maryt/theteach said...

Akalamalu, your Wordzzle's are so good... you don't go on and on til you can fit a word in. Good spacing between Wordzzle words! :) I'm back from Florida!

Raven said...

These were fantastic. I especially loved the last one, but I had such a hard time this week and you made it seem easy.

Finding Pam said...

QAll of your stories were great! I really loved the last one. Be careful what you dream? lol

Have a wonderful weekend.

Dianne said...

I loved the flow of the first one - and the mini was sad for the poor comedian

and of course, as always, your endings are awesome!!

Anonymous said...

I am a Bond fan and I was clapping my hands and giggling! Very well done! (I'm still grinning. I really loved the end!)

Richard said...

Another great ending. Loved your stories this week.

Catch said...

I dont know how you do it, but you make up the best stories ever!

Gledwood said...

that rainbow curtains window image looks like a pan-European flag for gay Scandinavians

Mimi Lenox said...

Did I ever tell you what a talented writer you are?

Cloudia said...

I smile when I see that you've done another of these! What would be a tiresome excercise for many, is (in your hands) always a relable delight! I find myself wanted to play too, but perhaps fear to sail so far below your level. . . Aloha Friend

Jeff B said...

Ha, perfect!

You fit the words into such well balanced stories. I always enjoy reading what you come up with.

holly said...

the salesman story made me smile. invariably, whenever *i'm* making vegetarian chili, i get a similar phone call. i have stopped making the chili, and the phone calls have ceased.

i truly loved the last one. am looking forward to more.

Akelamalu said...

I never ceases to amaze me how each person comes up with something different using the same words Alice! Glad you enjoyed them m'dear. :)

I'm pleased you enjoyed my mutterings Bettygram :)

Ah it worked then Dr. John!

Ah yes you would have to be a Bond fan to have second guessed the ending Bankerchick

LOL I got you too eh Melli? :)

Welcome back Teach and thanks for the kind words. :)

I struggled too this week Raven. :(

Dreams can be scary when they come true Pam! :0

Aw thanks Dianne, you're very kind. x

Thanks Quilly :)

Cheers Rich :)

You're very kind Catch, thankyou. xx

LOL it does a bit Gleds :)

Why thankyou Mimi, that's a great compliment coming from one of THE best writers in the blogosphere. xx

Cloudia I KNOW you would do a great job if you chose to play. x

Thank Jeff,I always enjoyed yours too. :)

Salesmen always call when one is busy Holly, it's like they have an inbuilt radar or something. :(

tony said...

Good stories this week Akalamalu.Hey! It's snowing again! Brhhhhh!

tony said...

Good stories this week Akalamalu.Hey! It's snowing again! Brhhhhh!

Spiky Zora Jones said...

ha...I could really get addicted to reading you. This was fabulous honey. I would think it would be difficult but you make it seem so effortless.

You write wonderfully sweetie. :D
Ciao honey.

gabrielle said...

Alas, I didn't get the Bond references. However, I do appreciate a man who puts his kitties first.

Fun read. Thank you.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

LOVE the doodles, especially the cat, and now i want chili! ha ha

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

storyteller said...

That Alice is on top of things for sure ... and I love the way you demonstrated the stammer with one of the phrases. You're oh so clever with these and, of course, you know I love the doodles always.
Hugs and blessings,

Akelamalu said...

Yep it's definitely snowing Tony! LOL

Aw you're very kind Spiky thankyou honey. x

I'd make you some chilli if you lived closer Bee x

Cheers Storyteller :)

Daryl said...

Another winner! Woman you are a good writer!

Connie T. said...

Good stories.

Akelamalu said...

Aw thanks Darylx

Why thankyou Connie :)