Followers

Monday 2 June 2014

Canada Part 8.....

Well here we are on the final part of our Canada trip from last year, sorry it's taken so long.

On our full free day to explore Victoria we decided to do it in style and see it from the air on a float plane!

Here we are down at the harbour getting ready to board the plane.




 This is me getting on board, you can see the plane isn't very large.


This is inside the plane, it was tiny, with 10 passengers!

I have to say, as someone who doesn't do heights very well, this ride, being in such a small plane, was just a tad scary for me and although I enjoyed the scenery I was glad when we finally touched down.
Here's MWM having just alighted the plane

and our pilot.
 Here's a short video of part of the journey.

Once we landed (and I got my landlegs back) we made our way along the jetty and found a fisherman gutting his catch to the delight of a harbour seal, which we caught on video.


Then it was time to wander round beautiful Victoria and take in the sights,



before popping in one of the many bar/restaurants for a light lunch.

After lunch we found a very interesting place where we found a photograph of some long lost Canadian relatives - A Mountie and Pocahontas!

It was time to go back to the hotel to pack up in readiness for heading to the airport the following morning.   After packing, we had a short rest before freshening up to enjoy a nice meal in Bartholemew's English style pub/restaurant, which is attached to the hotel.  They also sold a good selection of real ales and had live music!  Here's the selection of ales on offer.
We found Victoria a charming and beautiful place and thoroughly enjoyed our stay, then morning arrived and we, reluctantly, had to leave for the journey back to the airport in Vancouver and commence our journey home.

This was our last view of The Rockies as our plane took us back to the UK.

I hope you enjoyed our Canada trip, please join me next time when I will tell you about our trip to Italy last month, when we visited Venice and Verona amongst other places.

14 comments:

Valerie said...

Pearl, you thoughtfully compose everything.... smiles.

Akelamalu said...

Thanks Valerie. I think you may have only seen half the post as I managed to post it before I'd finished composing somehow! LOL

Cloudia said...

What an amazing journey! Thanks for sharing it


ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^=

A Lady's Life said...

Vancouver Island is growing so fast and it makes me sad but it is a fun place to visit.
We are waiting for the big one so it is good you visited before the island goes down a bit.

To see it from the air is to die for to say the least. I also am afraid of small planes. (and big ones lol)
I am glad to enjoyed it.

Valerie said...

How I wish I could make that flight and enjoy the wonderful view. Enjoyed this, Pearl, probably the best trip you have done... yes? Looking forward to more on my favourite place ... Italy.

Ron said...

OMG...you already know my reluctancy to flying, so I applaud you for getting on that small plane. And btw, the video clip of you taking off was awesomely exciting because that's the only thing about flying I enjoy.

Wonderful photographs of Victoria! What a charming city. It reminds of cities in Europe.

LOVE the photo of you and MWM in costume!

Thanks so much for sharing your trip, m'dear. I so enjoy these posts!

X

Maggie May said...

You got to see some lovely sights. What a tiny aircraft........ eek!
Love the view of the mountains.
Maggie x

Nuts in May

Daryl said...

worth the wait .. looks like you really had a wonderful trip

Jenny Woolf said...

Thank you for this nice tour. I have been on a float plane a couple of times and I somehow find it a very exciting experience to land on water, it seems such a strange thing to do! Canada is such a nice country.

Commander Zaius said...

Terrific photo journal of your trip! Small planes don't bother me that much, but I've got to admit I've never taken off from water.

Flowerpot said...

What a wonderful time you are having! x

Akelamalu said...

My pleasure Cloudia x

We absolutely LOVED Vancouver Island Ladys Life! x

It was a fabulous trip to be sure Valerie glad you came back to read the rest. xx

Yes Ron Victoria reminded us of European cities too! So glad you enjoyed this. x

Yes we did see some amazing sights Maggie, it was a wonderful trip. x

We did indeed Daryl xxx

It is a very different experience landing on water Jenny and, yes, Canada is a beautiful country.

As much as I don't particularly like small planes the experience of taking off and landing on water was good Beach. Glad you've enjoyed our trip. xx

Well it was a long time ago now Flowerpot but yes we did have a wonderful time. x

Unknown said...

With the exception of being crammed into a really small plane, your trip looks like it was wonderful.

Akelamalu said...

I have to say that was the only bit I really didn't care for Lady Lilith, the rest was fab!